All hens stopped laying over a month ago, and today one of them died

OliviaZ

Hatching
Dec 3, 2017
All of my chickens stopped laying over a month ago, and sometime last night one of them passed away. They are showing no signs of illness other than not laying, all of them look even better than they did a couple of months ago actually. 2 we’re severely pecked on for all of their lives, but are healthier than ever now. We even tripled their run space, and their coop is large to begin with. The only thing I can think of is that they are eating something in the neighbors yard because they do escape often to go next door. 6 of them, including the road island red that died, are only 2 years old. There is one other who is around 6 (a barnevelder). They had extra food and clear water also, so she didn’t starve and we haven’t changed her diet. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, it’s hard to know if it’s something that’s effecting all of them or just one, and I really don’t want to lose them. Thankyou

:welcome
Sorry for your loss
If the Rhode Island Red that died was a hybrid Rhode Island Red, that is very normal as they don't live so long
It is not unusual for hens to die for no obvious reason to us, if others look and behave normal, then I wouldn't worry much about it.

:welcome
Sorry for your loss
If the Rhode Island Red that died was a hybrid Rhode Island Red, that is very normal as they don't live so long
It is not unusual for hens to die for no obvious reason to us, if others look and behave normal, then I wouldn't worry much about it.
Okay thank you, I rechecked everything again with someone else and everything still seems normal so she might have just randomly died

Back
Top Bottom