1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All hens stopped laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cndshaw, Oct 10, 2016.

1. cndshaw

cndshaw New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    I have 12 laying hens and for the past three days not one has laid. They have fresh feed and water and a nice place to roost. We live in south tx the temp here is in the low to mid 80's right now. The only thing that has happened is that last weekend a stray dog killed one. They were out of their pen scratching around. One hen was inside the pen with the gate open. The dog got in there and killed her. She was the only hen in the pen. My husband was able to remove the dog. The hens continued their free ranging and seemed to be fine. They are all about 2 1/2 years old. Does anyone know what could be the answer to why they are not laying.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased joined our community! A trauma like a dog attack will often do that. I recently had two stray dogs in my yard....a brief chase but no attack. I went from 11-13 eggs per day to 3 eggs the next day. Took a week to get back to normal numbers. I think it just takes a little time to get back in the swing. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

3. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I agree with redsox, it was probably the trauma of a predator attack, and all will be back to normal in a week or so. If they are still not laying in 10 days, then there is probably something wrong. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

5. cndshaw

cndshaw New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Thanks for the information!

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome. Yes, stress will lower egg laying but this time of year I wonder if any are molting plus daylight hours are decreasing.
    I'm getting about 50% of the eggs I normally get but I do have some in molt. I do have some young ones just starting and they are more than pulling their weight and other' almost six months old and I've notice their combs are changing so I am hoping they start laying soon.
    When they start molting I add a food station of feather and grower both of which have higher protein to hopefully get them through their molt faster. I also give high protein treats like a cup of dry cat food or dog food kibble every day.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry about your loss. Maybe your hens didn't see the attack but, heard it going on - so are stressed regardless.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

10. cndshaw

cndshaw New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by