1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Thechefchicks, May 14, 2011.

1. Thechefchicks

Thechefchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Winchester
    I have all hens but it seems like a few are trying to go for me when i go into the coop/run to fill their water and food, 2 of them ruffle feathers and go for my feet and hands. What can i do and are they maybe roosters instead, they DO NOT crow at all, unlike my bantams that were roosters????????

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    How old are they? Can you post pics?

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Don't wear flip flops. Lol, mine are overly friendly and will come jump on me and peck at my clothes, shoes, freckles, etc. They just want their treats.

4. Thechefchicks

Mar 26, 2011
    Winchester
    I am too new on the site. But the ones in question are Black Sex links and none have white on them anywhere. I am still trying to get the pics of them off my phone, w/o success. Are they perhaps trying to see who the Alpha female may be????

5. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Julienkc may have something there with the shoes...I know people have said even if they wear a certain color pants,etc,the chickens go beserk. They aren't by any chance RED shoes are they? Chickens are obsessed with pecking red.You didn't say how old they were?
    Sorry,didn't notice how new you were [​IMG] Welcome [​IMG] As for the hands...do you hand feed them? Maybe they think you have a treat?

6. Thechefchicks

Mar 26, 2011
    Winchester
    The ones that go for my feet are ~12 weeks old. I have been wearing dirty white shoes out there since they are no good anyways. I havent hand feed them and i handled them a lot when they were in their brooder. I find it funny and when she goes for my feet i pick her up and carry her for a few minutes.

7. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hmmm....does it seem threatening? Or does it seem curious? Hard to say when you can't see it....but if it is threatening,picking her up and "schooling" her on who's boss should work I would think if they are only 12 weeks.I would also hold her while feeding the others so she knows her behavior is not paying off [​IMG] They do go through a funny "teenage" stage I think.Then they relax more after they get used to routines. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by