All I can say is......EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jul 12, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chicken yard is fenced on three sides. The fence is not intended to keep the chickens in (and it doesn't), it's intended to keep cows out. On the fourth side we can't fence, so we have a homemade cattle guard that most, but not all of the cows respect.

Went out to the chicken yard this morning and I could tell right away that one of the cows didn't respect the cattle guard in the night. They left a big ol' pile of evidence of their visit behind.

Let the chickens out and Jezebel, a light brahma hen, makes a beeline for that pile. She starts scratching thru the pile, looking for (I suppose) the best, tastiest bits. She's flinging cow poo everywhere.

I should have known better than to be anywhere near her while she searched. I'm blaming it on lack of good sleep and coffee. I bend over to adjust the chook's waterer and I feel a PLOP! Then something running down my back.

Oh the joys of chickenkeeping! [​IMG]

2. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    oh gross! cow manure is so stinky!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Impy- good morning

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Good Morning to you too Impy. How's things in Impworld? [​IMG]

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Too funny - good aim, Jezebel!

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Good Morning to you too Impy. How's things in Impworld? [​IMG]

Pretty good at the moment. On my 3rd mug of coffee

Cool & rainy though. Had to turn on the furnace. [​IMG]
    Thought we had a storm last night. (Cherry branches all over the backyard) But nowhere else... Hmmmm- now thinking that the raccoon family tore up the trees. Cherries are almost ripe, but they look like they are all splitting. Hasn't stopped raining since Dec 14.
    Going shopping with a neighbor this afternoon lumber, plants, whatever we find to cause trouble.

There is a very slight chance I'll be moving to Idaho, just to be 735.4 miles closer to you. [​IMG]

Impily Imp- How's grittyland?

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Things are good in Grittyland. Got everybody fed and watered, except for DH. He has his nights and days mixed up and sleeps most of the day. Not like I have 31 chicks on the screened porch in desperate need of a completed coop or anything.
    Grits has never been further west than Colorado. Pics of Washington look beautiful, but I couldn't handle all that rain! Being the delicate flower that I am [​IMG] I need lots of sunshine to grow, with just some gentle watering.
    Skip Idaho and come straight to Arkansas. We have this bizarre form of rain here. It's called humidity. Walk outside, stand still and guaranteed to be soaking wet in 5 minutes.
    Have a great one my friend. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:[​IMG] good morning to you gritsar and have a wonderful day too i have not laugh so hard in a long while:lau

9. EE lover:)

EE lover:) Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    North Carolina
    hope you were wearing a shirt! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    EE lover:) :

hope you were wearing a shirt! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Actaully it's not so well known here, but over on facebook I am pretty well known for tending chickens in some bizarre get-ups, most involving as little clothing as possible (the humidity, remember?). I always remember my rubber coop boots though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by