All I can say is "GROSS!!"

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by riderbecky, Jul 14, 2008.

1. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    I lifted the lid to the garbage can this morning and it was crawling with maggots. [​IMG] [​IMG] So I call my DH over to show him when I get the idea to take the lid off the can and give the maggots to the chickens.

I call the chickens, "Chickeeee, chick, chick, chick" and they come running from all directions to see what yummies mummy has for them now. They thought those maggots were the yummiest treats yet [​IMG]

It was both gross and pleasant to watch the girls gobble up those maggots. But now DH is put off of eggs. [​IMG]

Just thought I'd share... [​IMG]

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Mine love maggots too! It's gross, but a good source of protein. [​IMG]
    Once in a while I will end up with them in one of the rabbit hutches. I take the rabbits out and put a few chickens in. They go to town cleaning out the maggots so I don't have to touch them when I clean the hay out.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Free protein. Use veggies and start a maggot bucket to supplement their feed.

I am working on meal worms, earth worms and next will be the maggot bucket.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG] That's all I can say about that right after my lunch!...lol

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We haven't had lunch yet. LOL The kids have been in the pool.

6. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Yikes just had dinner.......... but hey ho am sure your girls loved theirs.... laughing at the thought.......

7. Alabama_boy

Alabama_boy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Lancaster County, SC
    How long has it been since you fed them the maggots. I have a friend says maggots will kill chickens. Let us know.[​IMG]

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have a compost barrel we throw all the old shavings, food scraps, etc. in, and has holes in it to allow any liquids to seep out. Occasionally, it'll get heaped and in a matter of a day or two, be crawling with these big, ugly, ribbed maggots. Gross enough to see on it's own without outside assistance, trust me.[​IMG]

One day I noticed that a couple of my turkey poults had this black crusty stuff on their heads, and I was kind of freaking, wondering what disease they had come down with that had drainage that severe. I couldn't see any runny eyes or noses, so I finally figured out they may have just gotten muddy from the recent rainstorm. The next day I'm walking out the shed, and I see them pecking at the holes at the bottom of the barrel and noticed this black ooze coming out. When I looked in the barrel, it was MOVING! [​IMG] The turkeys were eating the maggots as they came out the holes, and were getting the black sludge on them from sticking their heads under the bottom edge of the barrel, where they'd made a hole in the dirt eating them. [​IMG]

9. riderbecky

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    Quote:Ok, that's grosser than my story. [​IMG] [​IMG] You get the cookie!

10. riderbecky

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    Quote:How interesting. Did he ever happen to explain his reasoning behind this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by