all i here is peep peep peep

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peep peep betty, Aug 23, 2013.

1. peep peep betty

peep peep betty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    ever scence i held my 3 day old chick if im not holding it it peep peep peeps all the time

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll peep a lot if they're too cold.

3. peep peep betty

Jul 8, 2013
    i have a heat lamp on it and before i held it it would stay quiet

4. countrygoddess

You just have the one? It's probably lonely. I had one chick that hatched out of 6 eggs I incubated, and another half dozen due to hatch a week later. The first chick wound up being neurotic because of its solitude, even though it was just one week. Only one chick hatched from the second batch (it's a very rare and fragile breed--hatchability is something I am working on) and when I put the second chick in with the first, the older one tried to kill it. Even though it was only 7 days old. If I were you, I would get at LEAST two more chicks to put in with it, and I would do it right away.

5. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Try putting a small stuffed animal in with it to snuggle with.

6. countrygoddess

That doesn't work. I did that with my first lone chick--it ignored the stuffed animal and still turned neurotic. The one thing I thought I would do if I had to do it again would be to put a mirror in. I honestly feel that Peep Peep Betty needs to get one (or even better, two) more chicks. It's the healthiest thing for any chick or chicken. They are flock animals and need each other.

7. aguamarina

aguamarina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2013
    The best is for a hen to hatch the chicks, they do a lot better than human and she communicates with the chick when is still inside the egg, unlike human even they didnt have a proper mom, they will be good at becoming one when old. It's cruel for the chicks to grow inside the egg without the talking hen outside to move them and count the eggs.

I read some interesting stuff about mother hen and chicks and with 2 weeks old chicks I am fascinated everyday to see and understand, so very cute, he he.

Nature knows better, chicks expect one thing and get another, they go unhappy and crazy, poor little things.

Best luck!

8. peep peep betty

Jul 8, 2013
    my family dont want to get any more bitties

9. countrygoddess

Do you have grown chickens with whom you will be integrating this chick at some point? If you don't--if this is your one and only chicken--then I urge you to give it away to someone with chicks the same age. Or take it back to where you got it.

10. peep peep betty

Jul 8, 2013
    i cant give it away and i cant give it to who gave it to me cause the other hens will kill it and yes i have other mother hens but they dont like

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by