All I know is she will lay brown eggs.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Big dreams, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I have never raised such young chickens before, we bought older ones many years back and lost them to dogs! Not this time, but my question is "can someone help me decide what kind of chick this is?" I ordered the brown egg layer mix... Hope I do this right, I am new to forums. Thank you in advance.
    [​IMG]

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    She kinda looks like this guy -- a Columbian Rock
    [​IMG]

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I was gonna guess Columbian Wyandotte....so the Columbian part may be heading the right direction. [​IMG] Can you tell what kind of comb she has?

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Might be a Delaware.

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:Not a Delaware, they're yellow when they hatch, none of the silvery down.

6. simchik12142

simchik12142 New Egg

Dec 31, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    We ordered the brown layer mix last year and the chicks that looked like yours turned out to be Columbian Wyandottes.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Colombian rock. Guess you'll have to see how the comb and body type develop.

8. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    Ok, I will go and take a closer look, at her comb, looking for the color and shape right? I do believe both those types are on the list of possible choices from Mcmurray where I ordered them from. Thanks again.

9. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    Ok, well I looked at her comb, or lack there of, maybe she is still to young to really know, it looked like all I saw was the top of her beak.... ? I will keep watching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by