1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All in the coop and mommy is lonely

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mistylady, Oct 23, 2008.

1. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    The babies (9 weeks old) went in the coop today. I just finished talking to them. They are in two rabbit cages (2 roos in a cage and 4 hens in the other) and the cages are tucked under the roosting/dropping platform. No one can land on the cages. The roos have three protected sides and the hens have two. The roos are thrilled. Bruce (the bigger one) has been crowing for thirty minutes. The baby hennys aren't quite so happy but they have each other for comfort. I think they will be fine. They can't be pecked. They have fresh water and lots of food and I'll be back down there in a little while to visit. But I miss the chicken sounds in the basement.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the help on all my previous chicken questions! You guys/gals are great!

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I have a solution.

Wireless internet + laptop + lawn chair next to the cages... [​IMG] Then you can post on BYC while sitting with your chickens.

3. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    That would be great! I do think I'll take a chair out this afternoon and chat with the girls! The big hens pecked the babies through the cage until the babies figured out to move back from the wire. This morning they are all well and happy! I let the older chickens out in the run and petted the babies!

Is there a feed that all of the chickens can eat at once?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by