All in the one house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by adriano, Sep 7, 2009.

1. adriano

adriano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Ireland
    Hi is it ok for 3 female khaki campbells, a male and female ruddy shelduck and a male and female mandarin to all be housed in the same pen at night.
    Any problems at mating time or in general.

Cheers

Adriano

2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Hi adriano, when I had my Pekins, there was always a dominant male that would pick on the others when they were put in for the night and during the day free ranging. Keep a close eye on them. Someone else might have more to add and [​IMG]

3. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I would keep domestics and wild species apart, just because there might be a size difference, and there is more than likely a difference in their boy and girl parts that could hurt one or the other if they try to mate. But other than that, I've never been around wilds, so I wouldn't know.

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I would think that especially during mating time you would want them separate all the time since I imagine you want purebred shelducks and purebred mandarins.

5. adriano

adriano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Ireland
    Quote:Thanks for replies
    Yes i want purebred birds, but is it true that ruddies and mandarins dont breed until 2yrs of age, as the ones i have are only a few months old, so could i get away with the one house next breeding season.

Cheers

Adriano

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I think that's true, but I'm not 100%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by