All kinds of surprises!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bettacreek, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Crowing

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, today I had a hatch date, but accidentally left them in the incubator thanks to all of the stress lately. So, I lost several chicks (stuck in the autoturner), however, I did get three button chicks, two are ivories, one's a slate.

The big surprise however, is from the coturnix chicks. I thought I was getting all tibetans and tuxes from them. In the brooder, I now have a very well marked tuxedo, some more tibetans (or maybe browns, didn't get a good chance to really check them out) and... drumroll please... reds! Actually, I'm not sure if they're reds or golden reds, but, still, I'm rather excited!

2. dykeswa

dykeswa In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    Greenville Texas
    We injured a keet today the same way ours were not due to start till Monday, can't fiq. it out keets hatching early and quail taking 3-4 days longer...
    WAD

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    BETTA!! That is AWESOME NEWS!!!

Heres a comparision for you!:::

[​IMG]

right near my palm is a normal brown next to a red golden

below on the left with the yellow eyebrows is a red tuxedo, and a red [​IMG]

4. rachel

rachel Songster

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Now you all have me itching for reds. Especially a red tux!

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:well just remember a true red can easily produce red tux for you (as all red tux is is a true red crossed with an A & M). So even if you get solid reds, just breed them to an A & M and you're in! [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:well just remember a true red can easily produce red tux for you (as all red tux is is a true red crossed with an A & M). So even if you get solid reds, just breed them to an A & M and you're in! [​IMG]

Just good luck on finding the true reds!! I got lucky with mine [​IMG]

7. rachel

rachel Songster

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    There is no one in the Phoenix area that I'm aware of that has them. My best bet is ordering some eggs from some of you all once you start selling hatching eggs from them. If breeding reds to reds, will you get all reds, or some reds and some....?

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Niki thinks that the true red coloring is a sex-linked trait. I don't know what the sex of mine are yet, but everyone else that she knows that has true reds has only females. So I couldn't tell you on that [​IMG]

9. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Crowing

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Ohhhh, I actually have BOTH!!! Holy cow! Lol.

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:that is AWESOME! congratulations!!!!

As for the question of breeding red to red that was asked, WELL if im wrong in my guess that the reds are sex-linked, then a red to a red in theroy should produce MORE reds [​IMG] (just like a tibetan to a tibetan produces tibetans). The pattern (tibetan) is the same as the true reds pattern just an extreme difference in color [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: