all laying except one

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Evehens, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Evehens

Evehens New Egg

Dec 17, 2016
    Hi there, I have searched lots of forums but couldn't really find a satisfactory answer. I got 4 hens early September (our spring) and they were considered at "point of lay". As it was unusually cold they took their time and finally started laying 5 weeks later. Ever since 3 of them lay daily except one. She was always a bit smaller and she was always bullied by the others. She would lay as well, also 2 eggs without shell. Now for a few weeks, she hasn't laid at all. I've been observing her (feeding her on the side as I thought she may not get enough as the others are mean to her). She doesn't display any symptoms that would indicate lodged eggs. Once, I examined her and felt an egg inside, massaged her, put a bit of oil in her and she laid an egg the next day, since then (1 week) nothing again. She looks healthy, acts healthy, no sitting around, shows a little less interest in food but eats and drinks. Her comb is as red as the others (atm, even a bit darker red) but it is still a bit smaller than the others. I examined her today, but no egg inside. All hens are quite friendly (ISA BROWNS), calm and have plenty of room in their coop, I also let them out daily, to roam in a large area. There is seemingly no stress around, other than the heat atm, but they can keep cool under a large bush. Really don't know what to do anymore. They have plenty to eat, I sprout grain for them, they also get pellets, herbs, left overs, lots of green and water (with a bit of vinegar). I ensure their nests are clean and separate (they got 4 nests) but they all lay mostly into the same one.
    I would really appreciate responses as I can't think of anything else, thanks already!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC.

Some pullets take longer to get their egg production system in order. As long as your girls are being fed layer feed, or grower feed, with optional oyster shell - that should rule out lack of calcium from your feed. I'd be inclined to cut out the treats / greens and put an additional feeder out.

Heat can cause egg laying issues. Here's a link that you may find useful - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/788391/keeping-chickens-cool-in-summer-heat

All the best
    CT

3. Evehens

Evehens New Egg

Dec 17, 2016
    thank you! Yes, they get layer feed and oyster shell, also egg shells. Would you tell me why I should cut out the treats/ greens? I actually sprout the layer grains as it is easier to digest and higher in accessible nutrients. So, it isn't really meant as treat, rather a better way of feeding. But I'm happy to listen and learn!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I believe that main reason is that proprietary feed provides a complete and evenly balanced diet. Some additional foods may act to inhibit or reduce calcium intake. The suggestion of cutting additional foods out of their diet is only a means to rule out this possibility. If it makes no difference after a couple of weeks or so, then resuming your feeding regime is fine, since you will know that it is not the cause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by