1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All male ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ben is a terror, May 3, 2011.

1. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    Does anyone have all drakes? If so how is it working out? How many do you have? What breeds? Any agressive behavior towards hens? Any thoughts? [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thoughts are "it's not a good idea." Testosterone laden drakes will try to breed anything and everything. There is the potential for physical damage to hen chickens if drakes start breeding them. Drakes have penises and the reproductive tract of chickens is not intended for the inserton of "objects".

3. ben is a terror

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    THANK YOU

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I recently gave a friend some of my Indian Runner drakes. She lives in the city so noise was something of a concern for her. The three boys grew up together and were still young and immature when they left the company of females. So far everything is going fine - they do not mix with her chickens at all- preferring their own little section of the yard. We both hope things do continue but she has an area set up should things start to turn around with the boys behavior. Swapping some males for some females would at least give you some eggs- I look at some of my boys as freeloaders- but they still have their purpose even if they do not lay...they are still great entertainment and very handsome.

Sourland is right though- you may in time need to build your boys a separate pen- even if you add some female ducks- they can still go for the chickens at times.

5. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I am worried since I just got 4 ducklings to befriend my adult female duck. Turns out 3 of the 4 are drakes. I hope there are no issues, but I have heard that it is possible that they might get along. You just have to watch them as they have individual personalities. According to Holderreads book, drakes could be preferable (if you're not wanting eggs) as they are quiet and more decorative than the females. I hope mine are ok so I can still have my layer girls and keep my "decorative lawn maintaining" drakes![​IMG]

6. Blondiega1

Blondiega1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Dallas, Ga.
    I have two Pekin drakes and a male hooded merganser that has kind of adopted us.
    The boys all seem to get along just fine.

7. ben is a terror

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    I really don't need eggs. I just love watching ducks. We want to order 2 male runners 1 pekin and 1cyuga. They will never meet a girl duck. They will only meet the hens during free-range time.
    What do you think?

8. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I have all drakes. They haven't fought yet because they are all males, but if you see them fighting, you can break up the fight. Eventually, they learn that they can live peacefully. I discourage them from fighting.

9. Gulfstream

Gulfstream Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    I have 5 ducks, 3 drakes and 2 hens. It got a little rough about 3 weeks ago which led me to this website. However, after about a week of spatting and one of the drakes being ex-communicated for about 3 days all is well now. The girls always stood around watching or napping while the boys pulled each others neck feathers. Then the one stayed about 10 feet away, looked depressed, felt sorry for himself. Then one night they all walked up to the hutch as if they were all one big happy family. Been smooth sailing ever since.

10. ben is a terror

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    Such a help! want to be a good neighbor with noise. got rid of roo to keep all happy. I was not asked to by anyone I just did it. Some people asked if something happened to him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by