All male pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fancychick1, Aug 10, 2014.

1. fancychick1

fancychick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2014
    Oak Grove, KY
    I have 3 Pekin ducks that are 18 weeks old and I found out that they are all males. They have got along for the most part up til now but they are starting to fight and are attacking my chickens also. Is it ok to raise the males without the female or do I need to get me a couple gals to add to the group to calm them down?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Getting ducks may or may not calm the drakes down. Drakes seem to be particularly testosterone driven. Separate them from your chicken hens. They can possibly injure or even kill the hens while breeding them.

3. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

X2
    If you do get more ducks, you will need at least 9 ducks to keep that many boys happy.

If you get ducklings, keep them separated from the drakes until they are all the same size otherwise the drakes would likely kill the babies.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    You can run bachelor flocks but i would definitely keep them away from hens, drakes have been known to kill chicken hens in attempts to mate.. they are not compatible and it poses risks. Generally speaking, at least 2-3 ducks per drake is best.

I have a pekin drake, he has 5 females but he is in a big flock of mainly Muscovy as well as some female Buff ducks.. so he has many options lol

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  5. fancychick1

Jun 23, 2014
    Oak Grove, KY
    Thanks for the info I will have to get them in a run since my flock are all free range. Once I find some more ducks to add to the crew I will then let them back out. Is there a way of knowing how to sex them when they are little so I don't get any more frames?

6. fancychick1

Jun 23, 2014
    Oak Grove, KY
    That was suppose to say drakes my auto correct didn't like the word I guess.

7. HuntEmUp

HuntEmUp Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Fl panhandle
    I would love to know the answer to this question as well. We got 10 Pekin ducks from Tractor Supply 6 months ago, and it turns out that six of them are drakes and four are females.I would like to get more females, but don't want to accidentally get more males instead. So anyone has an answer to that question I would be grateful to know it as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by