All members that sale chickens for profit (ha) please answer me this..

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by MandyH, Feb 2, 2009.

1. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

What is your best selling breed? And what part of the country are you in?

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Buff Orpington, GA [​IMG]

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

It's split between Rhode Island Reds and Easter Eggers. We're in Colorado.

4. MandyH

I have sold all of my birds lately except my BBS cochins and am wanting to know what breed I might want to start over with. I think for my area the best sellers would be either barred rocks or buff orps.

5. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on how the parent stock look, but I would say last year I sold lots of HERITAGE rir eggs, and Buff Orps

6. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i live in NC, and sell alot of N.H.Reds and RIR's

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Mandy I think you would do fine with Orpingtons, Barred Rocks or an Easter Egger flock. Just my 2 cents. [​IMG] Have you considered Brahmas? My Brahma is my best layer. She laid thru the winter. The only time she stopped was to molt. Russell's Farm supply in Collierville sell RIRs the most of any other breed. I hope this helps.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Blue and Black Orpingtons LF and BF and RIRs for Illinois

9. MandyH

Adam!!!!! I have thought about the brahmas, but am looking for something that doesn't take SO dang long to grow out. I have spoken to several people that set up at local flea markets and such that do sell LOTS of birds and they tell me RIR, BR and Buff's. I know that when I hatched out 600 RIR last Spring, NOBODY wanted a red chicken!! I like to have NEVER sold all those reds, and it had nothing to do with the chickens they were fat, healthy and really good birds from great stock. I do know that whatever I start over with, I want GOOD stock to start from. Now it's just decideing what I DO want, and finding the eggs to get started with. Thanks for all the input so far.

10. jdb5324

jdb5324 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    in my opion you can probably sell BC marans the best but you can sell any breed that has a good show history

Jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by