All most time for "Lockdown"! One question!

jimandkira2002

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2015
So I'm still pretty new to all this and I made a DIY incubator last year and didn't have much success! Out of 3 sets at about a dozen each, I only have 3 chicks (1 in the first set, none in the second and 2 in the third) make it to hatch day. So when a friend offered us 17 eggs to hatch for him this year I didn't hold much hope....
hmm.png
...Well ALL 17 eggs have chicks inside!
celebrate.gif
So now I have no idea how I'm going to lay out all 17 eggs during lockdown. My incubator is large enought but I'm worried about them rolling off the wire shelf I have them on or hitting into each other. What is a quick and easy way to lay them out safely. Any advice and pictures of what you did would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Here are a couple of pictures of my incubator and its current set up!
cool.png

I like to hatch in cut down cartons. . I cut the carton in sets of 3s. . During lockdown i keep humidity at70%.. as chicks hatch and get fluffed out ..ill bump humidity a touch.. and pop lid corner and take out older chicks .removing shells too ..as sets of 3s cartons get empty i remove those too.. pop a corner in the incubator is ok i think as long as you keep a close eye on humidity.
Ive tryed laying on sides.. the chicks roll eggs around. . My hatch rate was still about same however. . So i guess its preference.

Where are the air vents for your incubator? If you don't have any you certainly want to add some quick.

I've hatch in egg carton without cutting down before. Not sure how much it matters as they flop out top of egg anyway. Suppose it's all on how well the egg fits the carton. 70% + humidity for hatching. Under that and later hatching chicks tend to get stuck in shells. There is no such thing as "lock down" in my book- it's just hatching. I add water if needed and take chicks out as soon as they are actively moving about. There is no lock on the incubator and chicks will wreak havoc on eggs laying down. That high of humidity is not a worry to quickly crack lid and do what is needed.

Where are the air vents for your incubator? If you don't have any you certainly want to add some quick.

I've hatch in egg carton without cutting down before. Not sure how much it matters as they flop out top of egg anyway. Suppose it's all on how well the egg fits the carton. 70% + humidity for hatching. Under that and later hatching chicks tend to get stuck in shells. There is no such thing as "lock down" in my book- it's just hatching. I add water if needed and take chicks out as soon as they are actively moving about. There is no lock on the incubator and chicks will wreak havoc on eggs laying down. That high of humidity is not a worry to quickly crack lid and do what is needed.
There are about five 1/4 inch drilled out vent holes on each side besides the side with the window. :) I don't do the full on lock down, I just used that phrase to indicate that we were getting close to hatch day...lol...Right now I'm just trying to figure out a how to arrange them in the best way to keep them all safe once chicks start hatching and during dry time. I don't want the first chicks born to knock the others and cause issues :(

Reason I cut the carton down I can see more of the egg..create just a small ring to hold egg.. holes on bottom probably optional. . Some people recommend them .. I cut them in sets of 3 so I can remove those too .. gives them more room. . Handy if your hatching full incubator at a time and lots eggs in there

Back
Top Bottom