All my 15 week old Hens are not acting normal....Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamahen09, Sep 6, 2009.

1. mamahen09

mamahen09 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    I posted below earlier....and have been keeping an eye on all my younger hens, and noticed they all are not as active as normal, and seem to be extremely sleepy. They are all eating, drinking, cones are normal, etc. but their inactive behavior has me concerned.
    I noticed one of the girls is keeping one eye closed, at all times. I was able to get her to open it, and it looks perfectly fine.
    These girls are very active normally, and this came on suddenly, without a warning!
    Does anyone know what the problem could be? Any suggestions would be appreciated very much.

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    How old are they? Sounds like a respiratory infection. The closed eye and being lethargic made me come to that conclusion. Are they sneezing or have any nasal discharge? Do they sound stuffy when breathing or do you hear funny sounds when they breath?

3. mamahen09

May 7, 2009
    They are 15 weeks old. No other symptoms other than sleepiness and the one girl keeping one eye shut. This really has me baffled.

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Just to be on the safe side I would pick up some antibiotics that would be affective on a respiratory infection just in case. I always have some Tylan Soluable on hand just in case. The feed store should be able to help you find something. Mkae sure you tell them it's a respiratory infection. But if not you can order it online at firststatevetsupply.com

Unfortunately I think you will see more signs of an infection tomorrow. It spreads fast.

If it's not an infection you will have it on hand and can start a chicken first aid kit. I have one and think everyone should look at the helpful advice on this forum and pick up some of the items mentioned. Vitamins, wormer, blood stop powder, mite and lice powder etc.

5. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    try deworming.....

I would give them some DE in their feed and maybe some ivermectin drops....

6. mamahen09

May 7, 2009
    Another symptom just showed up...their poop is getting very runny. No coughing, or breathing problems though. One of the girls is back to acting normal....2 are very sleepy acting, and then the one with the one eye shut, has me worried. I went ahead and started them on the Vitamins & Electrolytes and unfortunately I don't have the antibiotics..and deworming.....and I'm hoping TSC will be open tomorrow with it being Labor Day. Thanks everyone for your help...I'll keep everyone posted on the girls.

7. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by