All my birds are dying?! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mickyc, Dec 7, 2013.

1. mickyc

mickyc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2013
    Ireland
    I was given 4 birds to start off, 2 hens, 2 roos. I noticed one hen limping, she was dead the next morning. These birds were all hatched together in July. A few weeks later the other hen died.
    I then bought 4 mature hens, they were 2yrs old and had stopped laying for the winter. Last week one if them died? A few days later another one was dead? This morning a hen and one if the roos is dead and the remaining hen looks like it won't last the day! I have one healthy roo out if all my chickens?!
    I'm new to chicken keeping, but have a new hen house that can hold 12 birds, Ive a huge run for them, fox proofed. They are feed every day with corn and crumb and I keep the water feeder topped up. None of the dead birds look like they have been attacked?
    Is my last roo a serial killer?! I am bewildered and confused, can anyone offer an explanation or advice on this matter?

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    So when you say dead, do you mean dropped dead with no symptoms or signs on their bodies?
    Or do you really suspect the rooster because the bodies looked attacked?

3. mickyc

Dec 7, 2013
    Ireland
    I can't find any evidence that they have been attacked to be fair to the last roo.

4. mickyc

Dec 7, 2013
    Ireland
    The last remaining hen is motionless; I gently moved her and she toppled over onto the hay inside the hen house, she struggled to get up again. She is just sitting there, eyes closed and I suspect she will be dead soon:(
    It's a desperate scenario, but I need to know what's going in before I get any more birds...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

Without more information it is difficult to say why your chickens are dying.
    Chickens however are prone to a host of diseases. You may want to read up on range paralysis or Mareks disease. It usually has a sudden onset, kills quickly, there are few advanced clues that something is wrong, and because Mareks is a form of cancer a Mareks outbreak does not happen quickly but instead an outbreak can drag on for months and months as one infected bird after another becomes symptomatic. There is no cure for Mareks other than the grave.

Also look up "Gray Eye Disease"

Hope this helps, and again welcome to BYC.COM.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  6. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Agree with George, hard to pinpoint cause without a better description of their illness/symptoms. Sounds like the original 4 birds were sick when you got them, and when you added the new birds they also got sick. Your "healthy" rooster may be the carrier. I'd not add anymore chickens until you investigate more, probably remove the rooster, disinfect the coop. read up on poultry diseases from a site like this :

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/Diseases_Of_Poultry also check out the "learning center" here.

Good Luck and let us know what you eventually find.

7. mickyc

Dec 7, 2013
    Ireland
    That sounds logical. Thanks. Time to get the shotgun out and the disinfectant :(

8. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

This is awful, its so stressful and upsetting when you loose a chicken, I lost my favorite chicken a month ago.
    This is a pic of my hen a few days before she died

-her comb is pale
    -her feather arent looked after
    -she holds her wing low down
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does your hen look like this? Post us a pic if you can

1 person likes this.
  9. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I'm confused here, have you posted this same post twice? I answer and its not here but then I see the other one I thought hadn't worked??
    So think I've posted to both your duplicate posts.
    Only drawback with view new threads only. Don't realise they are in different (I'm assuming) areas.

10. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Cull the last too, disinfect with virkon-s and find a different source for birds

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by