1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All my broodies care about are EGGS!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Julie08, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Between them they have hatched out over 30 chicks and not one of them is taking responsibility for the chicks they just keep sitting and sitting some of them on NO eggs. I have tried putting one alone with them moving eggs taking eggs moving broodies you name it I've tried it. They just sit when a chick is born they just leave it to die if I didnt take it and brood myself. None of them are hatching in a clutch either just one a day sorta thing like they were laid. they have been broody for months and just sit and sit and SIT!!! Any advise on how to get them to first off hatch properly and then to take care of the chicks?

2. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Why is my post the only post with ZIPPO replies????

3. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    I have no idea, sorry. I thought silkies were supposed to good mums, but maybe they're just good sitters! I hope somebody else can help you, just thought i'd reply [​IMG]

4. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you that was very nice of you. They are all last years hatch so maybe they just dont have the hang of it. One hatched her last 5 eggs over night so I left the babies with her since she has no more eggs no reason to sit right?? we will see.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm guessing nobody replied because they don't know what to say. That's certainly a new one for me.

Maybe you've already tried this (sounds like you've done everything) but my only suggestion is to put each broody in it's own cage area. When she hatches a chick(s) take out the egg shell and take out the nest box just leaving her on bedding with food and water and the chick(s). If you can put her in a safe, secure outside area so that she can start to think about finding food on the ground and showing her new chick(s) how to find food maybe they will stop this silly broodiness.

Otherwise - open your own hatchery and let your broodys hatch em and you sell em! [​IMG]

6. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    That is strange. Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I never heard of so many Broody's and no one wanted to be mommy. Sorry for your loss.

7. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks everyone!! I have been taking the eggs now. One has about 10 eggs or so left and thats it 105 plus in one season is MORE then enough excitement for me. I have been taking them to the auction and getting about 2 bucks a pc for them so I guess that's not to bad. I just wish the broodies would get back to normal I feel bad for them. They are starting only 2 sitting on NO eggs now the rest are getting back to normal!

thanks all,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by