"All My Broodies" please read im so eggcited!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RockyPhoenix, May 27, 2010.

1. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    This is a list of my current broody hen population! I am so lucky to have all these mommys!

all but 2 of them have never had chicks

i know it sounds cruel but since i dont have room i plan on combining all the chicks once they hatch which requires taking the babies away from their mothers...41 confirmed eggs all due within 3 weeks of today!!

Australorp: 10 silkie eggs
    3 Buff Orpingtons: 15 assorted brown eggs (ORPINGTONS and BARRED ROCKS)
    Silkie: 9 Silkie eggs
    Phoenix bantam: unknown number (escaped the coop and is setting on an unknown location)
    Phoenix bantam: 7 Barred Rock eggs

the eggs under the australorp are due this weekend as are the barred rock eggs!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Well, good luck, you may be over-run with chicks (now, that's a nice thought!).
    First timers are a bit unpredictable, though, and you may have more losses than you expect from them. Hopefully the losses will be minimal, and they Do have to have a first time in any case.,
    Sandie

3. RockyPhoenix

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    i actually dont think i will have any casualties...other than the ones that dont hatch....the chicks arent stayin with the hens so i dont think there will be a problem....but yes they do all have first time...if ever...last year i only had 2 go broody....

4. steward

steward Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Wow! How did you get so lucky ? I had to wait 4 years and buy a bator before I got a broody hen! [​IMG]

5. RockyPhoenix

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    i dont know how im so lucky...its weird too because we dont let eggs accumulate and for that many to go broody over nest box bedding is awesome! two of them were mothers last year tho and 2 of my oldest (BO's) hens decided to join the broodyfest and also my BA i got last spring decided to join in also...

6. RockyPhoenix

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    [​IMG]
    my silkie broody sitting on 9 silkie eggs

[​IMG]
    my Buff Orpington broody who WAS sitting on 9 silkie eggs also

[​IMG]
    silkie chick that hatched!

[​IMG]
    my Black Australorp broody hen sitting on 7+ eggs