All my carpentry work. will it work for turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Yukonchick, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Outstanding interpretation! They'll be perfectly happy with roosts at 4ft. of the floor. We use 2"x4"s (in the winter - what you would probably consider `Spring' - they like to hang out inside and `walk the planks'). If you do build in roosts, consider building brackets on walls to slip roost `bars' down into, or hinge one end. This allows easy removal/fold-away so cleaning/maintenance is unhampered. Just some turkey packing in a generic shed (trained to go there every evening). [​IMG] [​IMG] How are you fixed for electric fencing - especially potent electric fencing? I'd rather deal with a brigade of raccoon's than a bear. Thanks for posting the shots!

3. Yukonchick

We got an electric fence around the horses and the horses will be going so maybe we'll use it for the turkeys. But the three dogs are pretty good protectors too.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Not only will it work for turkeys but it will work for humans as well. EXCELLENT WORK! Good job! :thumbsup

5. Yukonchick

LOL, thats what my girlfriend said. She asked when can she move in? lol![​IMG]

6. frank53061

frank53061 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think I have seen a chicken Coop or any kind of coop with a front Porch that is way over the top fancy you could rent that out LOL.

7. Yukonchick

It was actually a patio deck and i just built the chicken coop on top. Thats why its so high up too.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. frank53061

Having it built up high like that probably helps with the amount of snow fall you get and having access to the coop.

9. Yukonchick

Ya we get a couple feet up here of snow. We,ll see how this winter goes. Hope my hens don't freeze this winter. No insulation, but i do have a community nesting box for them to keep each other warm.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  10. frank53061

What kind of low temps do you have and do you have electricity near the coop you could put a boxed in light bulb under the nesting box its amazing how much heat it puts off and might prevent frost bite.
    The light bulb trick also works to keep water from freezing.
    At least its much cheaper than the fancy warmer's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by