All my chickens are starting to sneeze =\

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fisher39, Dec 24, 2012.

1. fisher39

fisher39 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    It first started with just a few, which I separated, but I guess it was too late, as it started spreading in the main coop. Some of them do have a discharge from the nose. The chickens that have it have a smell that's not too strong. I read that coryza has a horrible smell, but I can't say this smell is overwhelming. I have to take a whiff of each chicken in order to smell it. I have tried to add vinegar in their water, then a couple drops of bleach as a disinfectant, and recently, 15 drops of GSE per gallon of water. Nothing seems to be helping. I would love to avoid using antibiotics, but I guess there's no other way.

Can anyone give me any advice for this situation? What to give and where to get it? I also read somewhere that dust in the air could cause this. The main coop has straw in it, which a neighbor also uses but doesn't have this problem. Plus, I used wood shavings for the chickens that I initially separated, and their sneezing didn't stop.

I would appreciate all the advice I could get. Thanks.

Edit: forgot to mention: besides the sneezing, they're behaving just find. Eating, drinking, scratching, etc.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. fisher39

fisher39 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    Just found some posts saying something called Respite is a good remedy. It's a mixture of garlic, herbs, and fruit acids, made especially for respiratory and cold symptoms. Does anyone know who carries it?

3. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    SORRY I HAVE NOT HEARD OF IT.
    I HAVE A HEN THAT STARTED SOUNDING RASPY TODAY I BUT HER ON PENICILLIN.
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HENS, I HOPE SOME ONE CAN HELP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by