MarioBranwell

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2019
I had 5 chickens with 2 roosters. We had a steady egg production every day and not only that, It was my first batch of chickens and I treated them as family and I still cannot accept their loss! Today morning when I went to the coop to give them food, all were lying down DEAD! :'(
When I examined, one of my pet hens skull was cracked and blood is everywhere. Same pattern for all the chickens. Something has bitten their head and killed it for sport without eating it! I suspect its the work of a mink because I saw one time, running on my roof.
I never cried so much in my life before :( :( :(
I just want to get the revenge on that mink for such unmerciful act. Is there a trap that I can make to catch that mink? I just want to kill it with the most Inhumane way possible. Can any experts help me?

You can set some live traps for him and then drown it. I had to deal with a mink last year, he killed my favorite rabbits. I usually don't kill predators or even trap them because I get over it pretty fast and just modify my coops to keep them out. Well anyways I needed to trap this one because my sister moved all of the rabbits indoors, in my small room, until I got rid of the mink. So I was trying to trap him and went out to check the traps. Mink are weird predators, the only ones around here besides raptors that will hunt during the daytime. The mink was in the coop when I went out there, not in the trap. I blocked him in there and I did not have a gun on hand so I grabbed a baseball bat from the barn, that was over fast. Good Luck with killing yours, get some electric wire and a layer of hardware cloth around the bottom section of your run to prevent future attacks if you get birds again.

I just want to kill it with the most Inhumane way possible.
Oh god, I know the feeling! So sorry for your lost I know that had to be hard to see. A couple of years back I had a hawk kill couple of my pigeons. It Happens.. but what's worse was the damn thing sat on my back fence for an entire week just to look and I couldn't do a damn thing about it because hawks are (protected) in my state.

A mink is a crazy little predator. Go and resecure your entire coop from top to bottom and idk how things work where you live but I could call my local wildlife place and have them come to set a few traps for me. and if I caught it they would come to take it away. If not then maybe buy your own and set. Because if he came once he might surely come back.

I too am so sorry for your loss.

Most all here have suffered similar losses while raising a flock.

I would suggest you take your revenge and frustration on this predator, and the one who will ultimately follow, by creating a predator proof structure to contain and thwart all efforts from future attacks. If there was one, expect more to eventually come. Trying to defeat mother nature, by elimination, will become an exercise in frustration. There will be many deaths, but on both sides.

I take great pleasure watching the futile attempts, from a multitude of predator animals, attacking my coop and run structure with a zero success rate. I also no longer worry and sleep well knowing they are safe.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom