all my chickens killed by dog

Gonda

Songster
Nov 14, 2009
... well, that is, all except one, who is alive but not standing too well. He lost all his tail feathers and his back is bare and has bite marks. The other 12 are dead. My mother saw a dog walking across the lawn with a chicken in its mouth, and she went out to look and found 11 dead chickens and this one still alive but mauled. She described the dog as a long haired dog gold/brown colour with a sheltie type look or a mini collie. There were feathers all over the run, but the 10 remaining hens all looked pretty much intact, so I guess he must have got them by the neck? The two roosters were the only ones that seemed to be really mauled, including the one alpha (dead) and the one that is still alive, but can't seem to stand.

Does this sound like something a dog would do? Does it sound like a dog, to kill them all and then take off with one? My guess is that he went home with the one, and his owner saw him with a dead chicken and locked him up. Otherwise why wouldn't he have come back for more? Is it normal for a dog to just kill them?

It's a very sad day here. The one that's still alive is a beautiful cochin. And I just sold two young roosters recently. And we raised most of these chickens from eggs. We had some lovely hens and the alpha rooster was a perfect RIR gentleman. I'm so sad.

I'm trying to find out where the dog of that description came from. I've never seen that type of dog on my property before but there is one not too far from here. I'm going to go for a walk tomorrow, and will keep an eye out to see if it comes back, with camera handy.

I am truly sorry
hugs.gif

So sorry for your loss.
Sounds like a dog, and it will come back.
We had a dog attack last week, took my favorite girl, so sweet and trustworthy, dog just killed her no feathers no blood.
Our roo fought it off several places in the yard, lost alot of feathers but was willing to fight for his girls to the death.
My ole man heard the commotion and chased the dog off, our roo is doing well but has a partial naked backside.
The two dogs have been in my yard 5 times in the 3 weeks.
Went to the police, no help, chased the tracks down and across the river, no luck.
Knocked on several neighbors doors to put out the word.
No dogs back yet but now we have 3 girls left, one roo and 38 baby chicks to defend.

It's been a long winter so the chicken run is not completed, going to be working on it soon, the weather is breaking.
I prefer to free range and so do the chickens.....

If my cochin rooster survives (so far, he's eating and drinking and feisty enough), I'll have to wait and see if he has any damage, as he's not able to stand yet. His back was mauled quite badly, several open spots.

The 12 dead chickens just baffles me. Why did the stupid animal have to kill them all first, then trot off with one? There wasn't much blood. Do dogs kill just for the sake of killing? Do they just break the neck?

The two roosters were the only ones that showed significant signs of being mauled, so they must have put up a good fight.

Oh, it's so rotten. I had such a nice flock worked so hard at getting a nice flock.

Is she sure it wasn't a fox or coyote? I'm just listening to the description and hmmmmmmm....

Gonda wrote: The 12 dead chickens just baffles me. Why did the stupid animal have to kill them all first, then trot off with one? There wasn't much blood. Do dogs kill just for the sake of killing? Do they just break the neck?

Sorry about your poor flock (if the roo's punctured pretty badly you might want to pick up some Pen-G at the feedstore - post a thread up in Emergencies forum for more info on other antibiotics if the Pen-G isn't available).

Yes, well fed, and otherwise `never hurt a soul', domestic dogs can kill indiscriminately, only losing interest when no `prey' is left moving. Raccoons will often kill all the chooks in a coop and only eat portions of this or that victim. Weasels/minks (in particular) will often kill all the chooks in a coop and only consume a fraction. A pair of Red Foxes killed and carried off our neighbor's 13 Silver Laced Wyandottes in a little over 15 minutes (had just been let out to range in their front yard) the foxes, however, cached the prey and ate all but the feathers; Coyotes often exhibit similar behavior. Domestic/feral cats are unpredictable (might kill one, might kill several - depends on the individual cat). Raptors will usually eat the one they kill. Opossums/skunks usually focus on filling up and not fanging through the flock (usually).

What sort of run fencing were you using? Was your flock out ranging? Definitely keep the camera handy (will probably see the dog again - nothing more, or less, than the owner's proxy agent of trespass and destruction).

We are in a fairly rural location and, without keeping traps/snares out (preemptive defense - more preds do keep coming, but we've seriously decreased the overall frequency of attempted predation) and being consistent about maintaining armed, supervised, free range time in the evenings - we'd have no chooks or turks left (very secure runs/coop/shed). During our first summer with the flocks, Cass had cut some grapes up for the chooks and turks one afternoon; I walked around to the front of house to get the container off the deck. When I rounded the house into the backyard I saw one huge lab standing with front paws up on 6ft. fencing of turkey run and another lab playfully raising and lowering its head - with our `buttless' black sex link pullet in its mouth. As the rifle was under my arm (as always) the BSL and the rest of of the birds and I got lucky. I filed a preliminary nuisance animal complaint with the sheriff but, not surprisingly, no one ever claimed the carcasses.

Sometimes I think keeping flocks of prey animals is a lot like building in tornado alley. No matter how careful and diligent one is there is always the chance of being blindsided by a `fido-5'.
Take care and sure hope your roo recovers and that you don't lose your gumption.

John

ed:clarity​

Last edited:
I have quoted this before: "Man's best friend: a chicken's worst enemy."

The dog will definitely come back if allowed to. They will kill as if it is a game - hunger has nothing to do with it. I have been through the same thing. The third time the dog back I chased it back to the owner and explained our losses and told him that I did not want to shoot the dog but if it came back I would have to.

Make sure the wounds on your bird do not get flies or it will get worse, trust me.

Sad.

Quote:
My mother said the 'dog' had long flowing hair. That's not a coyote, and doesn't sound like a fox, does it? I'm definitely keeping my camera handy today, and my car and bike ready, so I can attempt to follow it if it comes back.

My cochin is alive but not as feisty this morning. He did stand on both legs for a minute when I lifted him up, which is better than he did last night. But he didn't object to being handled, and isn't eating like he did last night, and he slowly slumped down again. Still looking around with some interest. But I'm afraid now that he might not make it.

hugs.gif
I am sooooooooooooo sorry for your loss. I have lost my best hen last week in that same situation. they mauled her and carried her away, i found her featherless, partial skin and dead 1/2 mile away. Not eaten at all. Just kinda mauled and played with . Like a chewey toy. My heart sink for you. Keep your chin up. I know its hard and your heart is heavy. You have to start over and keep on keepin on. the dog will be back. you will need to take precautions for this.

I hope your cochin pulls through. Sounds like she will. Give her lots of extra love and affection.

classic dog attack. they USUALLY kill for sport but i have had them eaten by dogs that were hungry. They will just maul the bird until it stops moving and jump right on the next bird. It is sad but it is in their nature! Dogs will be dogs! The most important thing is this PREDATOR will be back. Get out a game camera ASAP. If you don't have one borrow one from a friend or family member who hunts. Pictures help to identify the animal.

Back
Top Bottom