All my chicks are crowing!!

OffGridFish

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2016
Southern Tablelands NSW Australia
Help! This has been a difficult journey with a confirmed 6 out of 8 chicks male and now the final two have started crowing - one yesterday and the other today. They are 10 week old bantam crosses. Does this definitely mean 8 out 8 are cockerels?? Am I the most unlucky first time egg farmer ever?? The last two look very different to the other 6 with much smaller, paler combs and generally smaller chickens. No saddle feathers in these two yet. Is the crowing conclusive at this age?

You need to take photos of the two birds in question so we can see them and it would be helpful if you were also able to record the crowing you are seeing/hearing so that we are able to see/hear for ourselves as well.

Thanks Ol Grey Mare. I'll post some pics below. I'll try and get a vid of them crowing but not sure I can - after watching the other three do it for a week it's pretty clear its the same voice-breaking, neck-extended, head back attempt at a crow though... and looking at the pics now I'm thinking I've won the rooster lottery big time

Jet:

Quinn:

And here is a pic of our remaining 5 together (the 3 other obvious cockerels already found homes)

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry, but at only 10 weeks, those all have way too much comb to be female. Male, every single one.

Advertise most of them for sale now, keep maybe one when you get at least six to ten pullets for him. It's spring, so chicks should be available. It's 'chicken math' all over again, as long as you have the coop space. Mary

Back
Top Bottom