1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All my chicks are crowing!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OffGridFish, Dec 12, 2016.

1. OffGridFish

OffGridFish Just Hatched

Help! This has been a difficult journey with a confirmed 6 out of 8 chicks male and now the final two have started crowing - one yesterday and the other today. They are 10 week old bantam crosses. Does this definitely mean 8 out 8 are cockerels?? Am I the most unlucky first time egg farmer ever?? The last two look very different to the other 6 with much smaller, paler combs and generally smaller chickens. No saddle feathers in these two yet. Is the crowing conclusive at this age?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You need to take photos of the two birds in question so we can see them and it would be helpful if you were also able to record the crowing you are seeing/hearing so that we are able to see/hear for ourselves as well.

3. OffGridFish

OffGridFish Just Hatched

Thanks Ol Grey Mare. I'll post some pics below. I'll try and get a vid of them crowing but not sure I can - after watching the other three do it for a week it's pretty clear its the same voice-breaking, neck-extended, head back attempt at a crow though... and looking at the pics now I'm thinking I've won the rooster lottery big time

Jet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quinn:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a pic of our remaining 5 together (the 3 other obvious cockerels already found homes)
    [​IMG]

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Very cute chicks, but crowing means cockerel! Mary

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Sorry, but at only 10 weeks, those all have way too much comb to be female. Male, every single one.

6. OffGridFish

OffGridFish Just Hatched

Thanks Mary and donrae, at least it explains why i had so much trouble sexing them. Looks like we are building a bachelor pad for the boys and buying some pullets!

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Advertise most of them for sale now, keep maybe one when you get at least six to ten pullets for him. It's spring, so chicks should be available. It's 'chicken math' all over again, as long as you have the coop space. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by