All my chicks died ***Graphic Images***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rrand5, Oct 16, 2016.

1. rrand5

rrand5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    I had 5 eggs that I assumed made it to lockdown. By day 23,no internal pips and no movement seen while candling, so I did eggtopsy and they were all dead. This was my first atempt at hatching, I'm asumming that it was an issue with temp or humidity but I'm wondering if they even all made it to lock down.
    [​IMG]
    These two are quite small compared to the others
    [​IMG]
    These two look as though they died at around the same time
    [​IMG]
    This one was the biggest one

Any help or advice would be great. So upset :(

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sorry you lost them all. What were your temp and humidity? Were you incubating still air or forced?

3. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    I had my humidity at 30% until lockdown, 70% during. Temp fluctuated between 99.89 - 100.4. That being said I was only using the incubator gauges which I will never do again. It is a forced air. None of them even had their heads up in the position to internally pip.

4. Nksg75

Nksg75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    That last chick, the largest one, it's hard to tell from the pic. Is the fluid surrounding it greenish?
    We're the eggs shipped, or were they purchased locally?

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Using the incubator gages might have been the problem - they could have been totally off. My guess is that it was a humidity issue. Was there a lot of fluid when you opened the eggs up?

6. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    No it wasn't green at all, it looked like normal egg whites. Just a bad picture. They were shipped.

7. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    I don't really have anything to compare to so I can't really say if there was a lot. There was definitely liquid there

8. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    Everything that was in the bag is what was in the egg if that helps at all?

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

It does look pretty liquidy in there. My guess is the hygrometer you were using is off and the humidity was too high and the embryos drowned in the egg :( Humidity issues are usually the cause of late stage embryo deaths. I'd get a new one and try again. I recommend this one - I've found it to be very accurate. Pair that with a reptile probe type digital thermometer which are also usually very accurate and you'll be good to go :) I'd still calibrate them both first to be sure before your next try.

10. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    I will do that. Thank you so much for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by