All my chicks died in 20 minutes!

Pics

Gravityrides

Hatching
Apr 1, 2022
I got 8 chicks 4 days ago. I was told they were 1 week old at the time. This afternoon I had 7 of the 8 die within 20 minutes. This was my first time trying to raise chicks and I’m looking for some insight on what happened. Here are the variables.

I used pine shaving as bedding.
My brooder tank is a plastic storage bin.
I used Dumor organic chick starter grower.
I had a warming light 32 inches from the chicks.
The temp by the chicks was around 78 degrees.

Here’s the last variable. I cleaned the water feeder daily. We were out of the house for a solid 12 hours today and the chicks dumped a ton of pine shavings into the water feeder and it was empty. The bedding was damp but the chicks and bedding were warm from the light. I didn’t immediately change the bedding.

The kids and I were holding them and they seemed fine. The were interacting and jumping around. Then all of a sudden one after the other started to die. 7 of the 8 in 20 minutes. My thought is that regardless of temperature they couldn’t tolerate the moisture from leaked water feeder. They were not soaking wet by any means. But they were on moist bedding.

I would love some insight on this. We knew they wouldn’t all survive but not like this. We’re heart broken.

Thanks - Jon

I have brooded in plastic before and drilled holes in the sides. Ventilation is important even for baby chicks. Not sure if the wet bedding was the problem, my thought would be CO2 buildup. There will probably be someone with better insight. A wet chick is a dead chick is an old saying but not sure how applicable that is here

Odd theory but throwing it out there. What were you doing before handling the chicks. Did you wash your hands? Maybe there was something on your hands. Not saying germs. They don't work that fast but maybe a chemical, lotion or something toxic to small animals. Have you used any bug killer around the area? Any type of chemical on your hands clothes etc..

That’s disappointing to hear about pine shavings not being recommended. They were recommended by the staff at tractor supply.
I've used pine shavings for all my chicks and never had any issues. I believe it is cedar shavings that shouldn't be used.
So sorry about your chicks.
What kind of light bulb are you using? I have heard of some being coated in teflon for safety, but teflon fumes can kill birds.

Back
Top Bottom