All my ducks are gone. mixed emotions.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ticks, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Well I had a customer come for some Pheasant eggs today and I had mentioned something about the ducks prior to today. He asked if he could have them and I said "sure if you want". so we scooped them up, put them in a box, and put them in the back of his jeep and off they went. I had a bad experience with my drakes and the last one I had started attaking me too. I really liked the hen thoguh, she was really sweet and followed me around. I don't know I want them gone because they pecked my chicken, but I miss the hen. Should I feel liek that over a coupel of ducks?

2. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure, why not? Ducks are fun to watch and funny - even watching a duck waddle across the yard to snatch a bug out of the air is an amusing sight You can always try again. One bad duck experience doesn't mean all ducks are bad. Find another kind you like the looks of and try again is my advice. If it was one size fits all folks wouldn't keep breeding them into new forms & colors.

3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    if you do get ducks a gain you may whant to get call ducks as they are a nice bird.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yes, because it is a living creature. part of your daily life.

totally normal. not feeling anything for a pet would be odd.

let me know if you want to incubate duck eggs. i'll hook you up!

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    For sure try again! Ducks are great, I remember the first place we had ducks, one of my favorite things was watching them out the kitchen window. It was better than TV.[​IMG]

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I think it was a good thing, if you don't have a positive relationship with the ducks then giving them away would be a good thing. You miss them now because your questioning if it was the right thing and you really did enjoy the one. If I was you, I'd be on my way to TSC right now to get a few new ducks!! [​IMG]

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Trying them again wont be right. My hen just had so much personality. It's odd. I never really thought that birds could have personalities. They were just birds. [​IMG]
    I nice pet, gives me eggs. But I never thought that they could remember things or have a personality.

8. KnightslilAngel

KnightslilAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Milford/Norwalk, CT
    I cried for months when my first duck died. and screamed when i found the other dead 2 months ago. So from my point of view you are golden x3

9. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    It is okay to feel sad. I just lost a hen to a predator and I miss her. Called her Maude (remember her on Archie Bunker show?) My BO hen was always vocal and bossy. Not particularly nice. I miss the personality.

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    So I guess I'm not posting here with all you Waterfowl enthusiasts. Until I get some call ducks or something small. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by