All my frizzle eggs hatched but NONE of the maran eggs did :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aqhaktberry3, Oct 20, 2009.

1. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    I just finished my 1st hatch and I was happy that even SOME of my eggs hatched. I had 8 frizzle eggs and 8 marans eggs. ALL the frizzle eggs hatched right on time and are all healthy and doing great! However NONE of the marans eggs hatched [​IMG]. When we candled them we couldn't see much but left them on anyways. They never hatched. Does anyone have any idea why this could have happened? All the eggs were fertile. We used a humidity of 55-60 and then bumped it up the last 2 or 3 days. Do brown eggs need something different than white eggs? Most of the eggs I want to hatch from now on are brown eggs so I need to figure out what went wrong. We have a Hoverbator 1588 with auto turner. If any of you hatch brown or marans eggs what temp, humidity etc. do you use. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks a head of time for all your help!

2. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    I'm going to be bating marans, and i asked bargain what you do with them, she said they incubate at 60 percent humidity and hatch around 80 percent humidity. was learning all i could about them before devoting a whole bator to them. if you did that, then maybe you could pm her and ask her if she has any suggestions???

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I incubate my Marans eggs the same as my other eggs....30-35% humidity the first 18 days days and then I bump the humidity up to 60-65%. I have good hatches from my eggs. Were your eggs shipped? That can have more to do with it than the shell color.

4. aqhaktberry3

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    Thanks AndNowChickens, let me know how your hatch goes!

No, they eggs were not shipped, I picked them up.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Did you open the eggs? I mean, were they fully developed, or did they quit?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Last time I tried to hatch Marans... I got two out of six to hatch... Got a pair... but the pullet is 9 months old and has yet to lay a single egg.

7. aqhaktberry3

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    I just cracked them open, out of 8 eggs, only 1 had developed.

8. Highland Moongazer

Highland Moongazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Marshall, NC
    I have terrible luck with them as well.

I've had ~ 16 (that came with mixes) and the only one who hatched had a huge case of the dumbs and wouldn't eat.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I'd be talking to whoever you picked them up from. If the other eggs all developed and hatched well, you can pretty much conclude the ones that didn't develop were probably not fertile since there was no shipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by