all my hens died except for one what should i do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick_magnet, Dec 10, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    My neighbor's dog got to all 20 of my hens. One manage to get away. What should I do. Give it away or this is where i'm stuck. I don't know what to do anymore. I just don't feel like raising chickens anymore after this situation.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Don't give up on your chickens! Its not their fault the nieghbours dog killed them! Get that nieghbour in trouble, I would be [​IMG]

3. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    I Wouldnt Quiet,theres Got To Be A Way Send The Dog To Jail Janie

4. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:First of all, you need to ask your neighbor for fair compensation. $10 to $15 per bird. If they refuse, then call in the bigger guns.
    Also, see to that dog being put down.

There are several threads on here about exactly what to do in cases like this. How to calculate costs, lawyers, court, all that stuff.
    You have to do it, because otherwise, the owner and the dog will do it again.

5. asamuel

asamuel New Egg

Dec 7, 2010
    Electric Fence ! It protects your flock from all predators. Good investment.

6. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I'm sorry for the loss of your girls. I almost lost my flock recently too. I know how it feels. Take some time before making any decisions.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    CL....get a buddy.....and a gun. Oh and I would submit a bill.... [​IMG]

8. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    I had one neighbor let his two dogs into my yard in hopes of them killing one of my babies. I grabbed the dogs and told him if they ever step foot in my yard again, I'll shoot them. Now I don't bring any of my babies outside without me being out there with my gun and last time he passed by, I made sure he saw my gun.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. Have you called the police? I would have called police AND animal control and let them see the and document everything. And that dog would get shot regardless. If I lost all my babies to a stupid dog (and I have two dogs myself, and they love my chickens and ducks), I would make it my life's mission to shoot that dog.

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

10. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    Quote:First of all, you need to ask your neighbor for fair compensation. $10 to $15 per bird. If they refuse, then call in the bigger guns.
    Also, see to that dog being put down.

There are several threads on here about exactly what to do in cases like this. How to calculate costs, lawyers, court, all that stuff.
    You have to do it, because otherwise, the owner and the dog will do it again.

X2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by