All my hens in the same nesting box!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peepie, Sep 19, 2007.

1. peepie

peepie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2007
    pacific northwest
    Well I have three hens and three nesting boxes but they all want to stay in one! They looks so funny all piled up, it gives me a giggle every night, but I'm wondering if there is any way I can lure them into the other boxes. No one is laying just yet.

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    If they stay in there at night...they will poop in it and when they start laying will make for some messy eggs. You can go out each night and make them move....eventually the will stop. I know what you mean about cute though...my coop is an a-frame tractor...they go up to roost. The roost is in the middle with a nest box on each end of the roost. My rooster used to sit right outside of the nest box with all his 'women' put to bed!!! [​IMG] It is a funny sight...The rooster on the roost blocking all his ladies in the nest box!! Anyway...you will want to change this behavior sooner than later.

3. peepie

Jul 8, 2007
    pacific northwest
    Oooo, good to know. So I can place them in each box but there's nothing stopping them from getting alll back into the same one again. Should I put in dividers?

4. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    What she means is if you keep getting them out of the boxes every night they will give up trying to sleep in the box sooner or later, even if they get right back in.

5. Newchickenmom&kids

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    They shouldn't be spending time in the nest boxes except when they are laying eggs or if they go broody. You either need to move them every night until they get the idea...or block off the nests until they begin to lay. Do you have a roost for them...they should roost at night.

6. Newchickenmom&kids

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Quote:Exactly!! Thanks peeps7!!

7. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Your Welcome!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. peepie

Jul 8, 2007
    pacific northwest
    Interesting. They do have a roost but they all still choose to go in the box. I've noticed they roost at times during the day even though they have free access to the yard.
    I'll start placing them on the roost when I shut them in at night. Should I take out the extra boxes and just leave the one?

9. lindseykoehler

lindseykoehler Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    Napa, California
    Peepie - that's funny - my hens did the same thing (I have 3 also). They all slept in the same nest box at night...UNTIL...they started laying eggs. Then it seems they realized the nest box was for laying, not sleeping. Now the girls have a nice un-pooped in nest box and they perch at night like they're supposed to. Maybe yours will work it out on their own like mine!

10. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Are your roosts higher than the nest boxes? They should perfer the higher one, unless they are physically unable to fly that high. Yes dividers would help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by