All my horses are ill.... VERY LONG

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pips&peeps, Jul 18, 2008.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Two of my horses came up lame yesterday. One had a swollen pastern and fetlock the other just tender footed. I gave the one with the swollen foot some bute and decided to wait until today to see if I needed to take him to the vet.

Well, this afternoon I went to check my show horse with the swollen foot and it is worse and he can't even move. I called my regular vet and they can't make it out for around an hour and ask if I can bring him in.... so I called the back up guy.

My baby was about to fall into the fence, so my husband had to remove to the t-posts as it is temporary electric tape, thank goodness I had sense enough to buy "toppers" for them.

Something in my gut started telling me my horse had been poisoned. This sudden sickness and lameness was so odd. He passed a small stool while standing there and it was covered in mucus.

The vet gets here and tries to tell me my horse has foundered. I kept asking him what could have caused that as he is not overweight and not being fed high protein and I don't feed him alot of grain. He tried to tell me a change in feed would do it. I just couldn't believe what he was trying to tell me.

Well, as we are trying to load him in the trailer I notice my other horse that was gimpy has a swollen back leg now. So the vet inspects him and starts picking away at his hoof saying there is something in there and he probably has an abscess, but he doesn't want to spend alot of time because he wants to get my other horse into the clinic.

So, I asked him to wait because I am now very suspicious that something else is going on. I check my three year old filly and gelding in the other pasture and guess what the filly's legs are all swollen.

The vet took all their temps and they are 103.5. Now he thinks it's viral and decides not to take my horse to the clinic as it could infect others.

After a couple hours of panic and work, we got our two big horses into make shift corrals as we have been awaiting "the stall guy" to come put stalls in our lean-to we built around Christmas time.

So, I have been frantically searching the internet for possible causes as I am now more sure this is not viral. How often do animals all get sick at the same exact time?

We bought new grass hay on Sunday.... I found information on a noxious weed that causes all the symptoms my babies have called hoary allysum and I think it is the answer.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? We have to get up early in the morning to finish the temporary shelter for the three year olds to shade them from the sun tomorrow in case they still have a fever.

Just wanted to share, I'm all wound up and anxious. Prayers will be gladly accepted.[​IMG]

2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I cannot help, but you have my thoughts and prayers this evening.

3. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    I second that, my parents did most of the vet visits and such for the horses we had so I have the littlest clue, but I can offer my thoughts and prayers!!
    (((( Hugs Jean & Family ))))

4. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    I am going to forward your information to a friend of mine who is not only REALLY knowledgeable about horses, but she also is an expert on surviving in the wild and cooking with things you find in your yard...She won't be on the computer for a few hours yet, but she would be my best bet for collecting some helpful information on this. If you want to PM me with your PM, I can give it to her to contact you directly.

Sounds awfully suspicious to me, too.

Nancy

5. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I don't have any knowledge but I am so sorry. I hope you can find out something soon. My thoughts are with you.

jackie

6. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    This is a long shot but did you use that new pressure treated wood and have they been chewing on it? I know the older creosote will flat out kill a hog but I don't know the effect on the horses. The new pressure treated wood will eat an ordinary screw or nail and stainless fasteners must be used. Can't be good for an animal. And you do have my prayers, make sure the vet leaves no stone unturned.

7. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    WOW, I hope you find out what's going on, and can keep us updated. Things like this are every horseperson's fear. When you said "new hay," I immediately thought of both that poisonous nettle AND Equine Protozoal Myelitis, but I'm not sure the symptoms fit, nor am I sure that EPM hits that quickly...but it does commonly come from eating hay with possum poop in it.

I wish you all the best success at finding the cause quickly. I will pray for wisdom and insight for your vets, and a totally TREATABLE outcome for your babies.

8. redkan

redkan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    Have you tried posting on any of the larger horse forums? You'll get a much larger response and access to more horse people. If you think you've found a native plant that can cause those symptoms have you inspected your hay to see if it's in there or walked your pasture/paddocks to see if it's there? If you find it the next thing is to find out treatment. Do you provide supportive care or it there an antidote.

You might try posting on Dreamhorse or a local horse forum if you're a member of an active one. Here's the link to Dreamhorse, if you're not a member you'll need to sign up.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/dreamhorse/start

9. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jean,
    Good luck with your research. Did the vet have a suspicion what type of virus?

The fever sure doesn't sound like laminitis but of course you wonder changing hay. New hay could cause the laminitis. I would certainly treat them for this just in case this is the case. Are they grazing in newly cut pasture? Laminitis can be caused by SOOOOOO many dang things.

This must be completely stressful. I absolutely become distraught when something is wrong with my horses. I trust you'll get it figured out all will be back to normal.

Boy if it's not one thing it's another, huh?

Please keep us posted!
    [​IMG]

Edited to add: Can you get yournew hay analyzed by the extension service?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    I would quit feeding the new hay that you are suspecting. I wish you a quick and full recovery for your horses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by