All my meaties are gone

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Acre of Blessings, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    i am so happy to say that we just processed the last of our meaties. It took us 4 1/2 hours to process, from start to finish, the 37 that we had left.

They each weighed between 3 to 3 1/2 pounds each. We are very happy with the turn out.

Now I have to prepare for Spring of '09

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

How did you do so many so fast?

3. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    My youngest daughter (9) would go and get a chicken and take off it's head, yes she did this. My oldest daughter (17) would do the scalding and my hubby use the plucker that he put together to pluck the chickens.

They would then bring the chickens into the house where my neighbor and I would degut them and clean them up good and my middle daughter (13) and her daughter (16) would wrap them and put them in the fridge. They will be there resting until tomorrow night or Sunday morning.

No I do not soak in brine before freezing, we soak the birds overnight before we cook them. Taste so much better.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Wait a minute, how can your middle daughter be 13 and have a 16-year-old? [​IMG]

I think it is great that your children help with this. Amish and pioneer children have/had similar responsibilities.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Neighbor's daughter is 16 I think.... *goes back to re-read*

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Hooray for the production line!! Good job [​IMG]

7. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

3-3.5 lbs? Were these Cornish X's? How old were they? Did you want small ones?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    When I read subject lines like this I'm jsut dreading opening the thread becasue I first think they all died randomly in the night.

9. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:It's my neighbors daughter

10. Acre of Blessings

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:They were the Cornish Rock Broilers. They were 11 weeks old. We processed some at 7 weeks for fryer size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by