all my roosters prefer 1 hen

IHT

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2022
hey!

i have a small backyard flock of about 40 birds and im always reducing very quickly the numbers of new rooster because they all get a heavy obssession with 1 hen i have

as soon as shes free in the backyard they all want to mount her and ignore the other hens and its very sad because sometimes we arent close enough to help her with the swarm of roosters fighting above her over who gets to mount and shes sometimes hurt in the process

but i have noticed even new chicks i get the second they sexually mature they all want to mount this hen so bad...

is there anyway i can stop my roosters like all of them with this obssesion over 1 hen

Attachments

• IMG_20221121_130759.jpg
    IMG_20221121_130759.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 8
Separate the hen and/or limit the number of roosters.
i have tried this and i really dont want to keep this hen isolated in a cage and i always keep my number of roosters to a minimum about 3 adults roosters for 30+ hens but the second my roosters mature sexually before they reach the right weight for butchering them so while they reach that age they roam free and cant seem to notice another hen but this one 😹 with other 30+ other hens to mount lol

Have you considered butchering this one hen?

Unless you are particularly fond of her, that might be easier than other ways of managing the situation.

Have you considered butchering this one hen?

Unless you are particularly fond of her, that might be easier than other ways of managing the situation.
yes we have
shes actually our oldest & first hen we have that got us interested in starting a flock
about half the hens we have now are her kids
but we cant bring ourselves to butcher her yet because she lays lotta eggs!
our best layer hen
about 30 eggs per cycle
she then rests for a month

yes we have
shes actually our oldest & first hen we have that got us interested in starting a flock
about half the hens we have now are her kids
but we cant bring ourselves to butcher her yet because she lays lotta eggs!
our best layer hen
about 30 eggs per cycle
she then rests for a month
I can see why you would prefer not to butcher her :)

In that case, maybe you could provide her with a coop & run where she can live with a few other hens, protected from all the pesky cockerels. You could have either one rooster or no roosters in that pen, depending on how they act and whether you want to hatch eggs from the hens in that group.

In that case, maybe you could provide her with a coop & run where she can live with a few other hens, protected from all the pesky cockerels. You could have either one rooster or no roosters in that pen, depending on how they act and whether you want to hatch eggs from the hens in that group.
yeah i think i will eventually need to keep her separated from the flock we have recently build another big fenced run for the flock of about 30x30 meters so guess i will keep her away from the roosters that way

That's what I was popping in here to suggest. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom