all natraul solotions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by youngcowgirl89, Sep 14, 2016.

1. youngcowgirl89

youngcowgirl89 Just Hatched

hey yall :)
    so I'm really into essential oils and natural solutions preventives and treatments.
    not saying I'm against doing what needs done but I'm interested in if anyone knows any natural tricks.
    any at all for any problem. I tried looking threw the posts but didn't find a lot.
    if I posted this in the wrong spot please let me know

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    For mites and lice, pyrethrin is an effective, naturally derived pesticide. Pumpkin seeds and other winter squash seeds are good for dealing with intestinal parasites. For coccidia, you must use amprolium. It's a thiamine blocker, not an antibiotic, so it's safer to use, and you can still eat the eggs.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  3. youngcowgirl89

thank you ive also heard about oregano in the water and thyme in there for as antibiotics.
    I know so much about dogs cats horses and humans that are safe natural solutions but I know nothing about chickens and don't want to harm them while tryng to do good

4. youngcowgirl89

I meant thyme in their food as antibiotics

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Usually, by the time a chicken is showing symptoms of illness, herbs are of little use. They need the more concentrated dosage of medical antibiotics for effective treatment. Also, most poultry illnesses are viral, not bacterial. There is little that can be done for viral infections.

6. youngcowgirl89

well these would be one the list of continues preventive

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Herbs will not prevent your bird from contracting a viral illness.

8. youngcowgirl89

[​IMG]
    these are the things I want to verify or disprove.

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It would be difficult to prove that any of those plants are of benefit as they claim, for poultry. Frequently, birds process things differently than mammals. What is greatly beneficial to mammals, may not translate to poultry. Dark, leafy greens do have improve egg yolk color. Herbs do not affect egg production. That is based on daylight exposure and protein intake. And while herbs won't harm birds, consuming them in large enough quantities to be used as effective preventatives will likely upset the nutritional balance of feed, and have a negative effect on the production rate. Not to mention, they may impart unpleasant flavors to the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by