all natural feeding deworm lice and balanced diet

rikd

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2015
will county illinois
i have total of 7 bantam hens/pullets, fairly new to keeping chickens. currently feeding them constant supply of laying feed, with "treats" weekly of either cracked corn or a garlic, grape, carrot, small bit of scrabbled eggs, and main ingredient of either pumpkin seeds or squash seeds. there water is per treated in a gallon jug with pro Biotoics, apple cider vinegar, and one crushed garlic "peddle". now from all ive read all these foods are good for them and it seems that garlic, pumpkin seeds, and squash seeds will evict/prevent most if not all types of worms, and garlic also helps with lice and mites. i have other measures for mite and lice in place like a wood ash dust bath with delouser mixed in. so far no issues and they love the feed and seem to like when the garlic comes out of the water jug when it empties. any thoughts or tips...?? ty :)

I have a bunch of little bantams in a mixed breed flock too (love those little birds!). I do use Frontline puppy and kitten spray every few months to prevent lice/mites (not the adult drops). I would rather spray then under each wing every few months rather than having them breath in mite/lice pesticide dust, it seems healthier and is a whole heck of a lot easier IMO.

I have a bunch of little bantams in a mixed breed flock too (love those little birds!).  I do use Frontline puppy and kitten spray every few months to prevent lice/mites (not the adult drops).  I would rather spray then under each wing every few months rather than having them breath in mite/lice pesticide dust, it seems healthier and is a whole heck of a lot easier IMO.

ty, ya had read that too but with the cold coming it (IL avg 65f right now) dont want them getting wet ya love the small breeds, 1 barred rock, 2 white rock, 2 white phoenix, one brown cochin and one motteld cochin, cochins are 3 months rocks are 7 months and pheonixes are 2 yrs. only my cochins and barred rock are "friendly" rest don't really care to be around me. have them all pened togther in a 75sq foot pen with attacted coop

ty, ya had read that too but with the cold coming it (IL avg 65f right now) dont want them getting wet

Just fyi you don't spray their whole body! Just like the drops used for dogs, you just apply to a small part of them (but of course don't use the drops for dogs, way way too strong).

I just spray them once under each wing so it comes in contact with the skin and sometimes once on the vent. Easiest to do at night when they are perched. Might want to remember it for the future, it is a heck of a lot easier than trying to dust their whole environment if they have a mite outbreak.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of little bantams in a mixed breed flock too (love those little birds!). I do use Frontline puppy and kitten spray every few months to prevent lice/mites (not the adult drops). I would rather spray then under each wing every few months rather than having them breath in mite/lice pesticide dust, it seems healthier and is a whole heck of a lot easier IMO.

so you use frontline puppy spray every few months to prevent mite/lice were did you get this spray this is the first time I have heard of this sounds good

so you use frontline puppy spray every few months to prevent mite/lice were did you get this spray this is the first time I have heard of this sounds good         
had never seen the spary before either but they have it on ebay and amazon looks good rather use that than the drops for them i think anyhow

FYI, garlic is in the onion family and most vets will say not to feed it. The other seeds are fine, but many people have learned the hard way that they won't prevent worms.

-Kathy

FYI, garlic is in the onion family and most vets will say not to feed it. The other seeds are fine, but many people have learned the hard way that they won't prevent worms.

-Kathy

ya agreed, also found that if left in water garlic will mold in about 2 days... so ya staying away for the garlic from now on ty. keep it going turning into a good "posting" ty all :)

Back
Top Bottom