All New Duck Owners Should Read!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TRUE*duck*luvr5, Oct 20, 2009.

1. TRUE*duck*luvr5

TRUE*duck*luvr5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2009
    Hi Everyone!!!!! I was just letting you guys know that you should make sure youre duck cage is over 4 feet tall. and you might want a roof over it. I will add pics later of ours that we have had for 2 months and our duck toot is still alive. Why i say this is because eventually youre duck(s) will fly. And they will probably fly over the fence and get eaten (thats what happend to my other duck Brown Duck). I was just letting you all know to save you from broken hearts sooner then necessary!. [​IMG] Feel free to ask me any questions!!!!

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Most domestic ducks do not fly. Call ducks, east indies, mallards, and muscovies do. Am I missing any?

3. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Most ducks can get flying a couple feet in the air if they want to, and some rarely use their wings at all. There's always exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, the smaller breeds (calls, BEI etc), the wild breeds (wood ducks etc) and the ones closest to wild (muscovies and mallards) are the better fliers.

The ducks that have been bred in captivity for the longest fly the least. Pekins, Khaki Campbells and Indian Runners -generally- don't fly.

I'm surprised my 8-9 pound Silver Appleyards can come four feet off the ground if they're excited, but it's not like they try to get away. My mallard used to fly over the seven foot fence right out of his pen, but only if separated from his mate. [​IMG]

4. TRUE*duck*luvr5

Sep 25, 2009
    I dont think so [​IMG] and my other duck was a Khaki Campbell and he flew over and got taken by a animal [​IMG] I was just letting some new duck owners know [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I have Swedes, Khakis, Rouens and a Call mix and they all fly. It may not be far but they can get 5 or 6 feet off the ground and if they catch the wind just right even higher. Never underestimate a domestic duck! [​IMG]

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I've got 3 khaki campbells and 2 of them do quite a bit of flying! I've seen them get 6ft or so off the ground and they've traveled a good 30ft or so in the air (edit to add that for the whole distance they were not at 6ft). This usually only happens when the flock gets spooked by something and they are 1/2 way across the acreage so they are trying to hurry to catch up and the 3rd duck who doesn't fly waddles as fast as she can behind them!
    Good issue to point out!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  7. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Alot of people let their ducks free range too. Its a good suggestion but then again the only duck I have ever had fly out of my chainlink fenced pen is my Buff when i first got her and My scovie who likes to be a show off. She never really flies "out" though. Justs likes to sit on the gate.

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    TRUE*duck*luvr5 :

I dont think so [​IMG] and my other duck was a Khaki Campbell and he flew over and got taken by a animal [​IMG] I was just letting some new duck owners know [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for the warning. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. I'm lucky enough to have chicken wire over the top of my run (used to be a dog pen (it is 10ft tall).

Btw [​IMG] from Kansas!​

9. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I have khakis and I have never ever seen one fly. Flutter around a little but never getting any air. My scovies however can so I clipped their wings.

10. TRUE*duck*luvr5

Sep 25, 2009
    Thanks guys! Like I said just letting some new duck owners know! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by