All new mixed coop - bantams AND full size?

Boris27

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2021
We are getting 5/6 full size POL hens this weekend, all hybrid mixed breeds. No hens or roosters at the property currently. While there, I had hoped to also pick up one or two Pekin Bantams to add in with the coop at the same time. As none of the hens have lived together before, do I stand a chance of them not picking on the bantam(s) or better to avoid? My theory was if i'm going to attempt it, at the very beginning seemed the better option.

They're initially in a coop big enough for c.15 hens with an 8ftx16ft stable to roam around. Once let out of there, there's an acre for them to explore each day.

Thoughts please! Tia.

Hybrid Breeds:
Goldline
Bluebell
Amber star
Columbian blacktail
Light Sussex

Maybe also a Speckeldy Maran.

Last edited:
We are getting 5/6 full size POL hens this weekend, all hybrid mixed breeds. No hens or roosters at the property currently. While there, I had hoped to also pick up one or two Pekin Bantams to add in with the coop at the same time. As none of the hens have lived together before, do I stand a chance of them not picking on the bantam(s) or better to avoid? My theory was if i'm going to attempt it, at the very beginning seemed the better option.

They're initially in a coop big enough for c.15 hens with an 8ftx16ft stable to roam around. Once let out of there, there's an acre for them to explore each day.

Thoughts please! Tia.

Hybrid Breeds:
Goldline
Bluebell
Amber star
Columbian blacktail
Light Sussex

Maybe also a Speckeldy Maran.
If the LF pullets and the bantams have never lived together before, you would have to do a "look don't touch integration". Are they all on the same farm?
How large is the coop in ft x ft?

If the LF pullets and the bantams have never lived together before, you would have to do a "look don't touch integration". Are they all on the same farm?
How large is the coop in ft x ft?
The coop is roughly 4ftx4ft within an enclosed stable of roughly 8ftx16ft. And yes, same breeder. But they keep the different breeds all separate there.

Thanks. But not really what i'm asking. Useful to know, but the hen house can be extended or a secondary one sorted. The aim is to make the stable predator secure enough to just have the roosting perches and nesting boxes directly in there without the hen house. My issue is the two different breed sizes. Was hoping for some stories where people have/haven't managed it, particularly in these circumstances.

You shouldn't keep more than 4-5 LF birds in that size coop. You don't have room for more.
X2 the usual guideline is 4 square feet per bird in the coop.

Other than that, I do have one Silkie bantam with 12 other full size hens. We had two silkies, but one passed a year ago. When we originally got them, we also had bought a Cochin bantam and a bantam polish, but unfortunately the Cochin and polish were both cockerels, and we couldn’t keep them.

The silkie gets along well with the others, though is currently very broody. I don’t see a problem with mixing standards and bantams, but that is just my opinion and others may have different views.

Make sure to allow for extra integration time if needed.

I currently have four larger breed hens (Turken, Golden Laced Polish, two Calico Princess) in with 17 mixed bantams and they have done fine together. And the three bantam roosters love the bigger girls just as much as the smaller ones. ETA: their run is 7' x 13' with an 8' x 8' coop.

Back
Top Bottom