1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

All new to me...but really enjoying the girls

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NA, May 23, 2010.

1. NA

NA In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Hi, This is my first post. We got our first 5 chicks from a local farm store 3 wks ago. Raising them (so far) has been a lot of fun. I have them in a 10" high wading pool, purchased from Walmart for $10. Before the 2nd week I had to raise the walls by taping flexible 2x4' florescent light fixture lenses all around the circumference. At 3 weeks they can just about fly out of that too. I've kept the temperature 95/90/85 almost exactly by using a lamp and putting it on a timer. We've been cooler than normal on the E Coast so the lamp was important. I'm anxious to introduce them to the outdoors very soon. It should warm up this week. I bought a 3'x6' condo for them from local Amish builders. My grandson and I built a 4'x8' run outside of it for them to play, safely protected from the fox who came by my driveway the day the coop was delivered as if to say "hip hip hooray...a chicken coop.
    Anyway, I have no idea if my girls are in fact boys. I hope we have all girls!!!! I've taken pictures if anyone can help.
    [​IMG]
    This is Veruka. She's the least personable. She stays furthest from my hand. We were told she's a silver laced wyandotte.
    [​IMG]
    This is Pricilla. She's the most curious. She comes over to me as soon as I take the netting off the top of the walls. She LOVES to eat from a spoon.
    [​IMG]
    This is Sonic. She's growing faster than the rest. Supposedly she's a "production red" combo RI Red and NH red???She pecks the hardest and it pretty aggressive.
    [​IMG]
    This is General. She's a Columbian Rock from what I hear. She's also on the large side. She's quite friendly and loves meal worms the most.
    [​IMG]
    This is Blackberry. She's a Jersey Black Giant. Blackberry is the friendliest of all. She jumps up on my hand as soon as I present it. She's also much prettier than the picture, just not too photogenic.

Well if anyone can assure me that my girls are actually girls, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited: May 23, 2010

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Songster

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    [​IMG] I am glad you are loving keeping chickens!! I have no idea on the sexes of your chickens sorry!

3. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    [​IMG]

It may still be a little early to figure out the sex yet. From what I've been reading here, roos tail feathers come in later than the pullets. They develope combs and waddles faster than the hens and the comb gets redder faster. I have an accidental roo (silver laced wyandotte) and a pullet and they both began to develope pink combs. The roo's waddle then began to grow. Oh well. Another thing is that males begin to develope spur buds on the backs of their legs. The hackle feathers on roos grow in pointed and the hens are rounded, like a spoon. Later on, roos develope pointed saddle feathers and curly tail feathers. The also begin to show iridescent feathers. I hope this helps. Your babies are beautiful.

I'm still waiting to find out if I have any more roos since I have three different age groups, the youngest being just over a week old.

But most say you don't know until they crow or lay an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by