1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All night parties?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by debid, Apr 23, 2011.

1. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    My new chicks are in a brooder box on our back patio. Not to worry, we latched the lid down and put a couple of big bricks on top JIC anything opened the latches. Oh, and it's not getting colder than 60 this week. Anyway, it has a lid that is mostly hardware cloth. I'm using a red heat lamp mounted outside the box. The chicks went to sleep around dusk since they have some concept of the sun setting but an hour later, the brooder was a flurry of activity. It didn't take long to figure out why -- crane flies! The light was being mobbed by crane flies and the chicks were eating any that dared to fly too low! Now, I should point out that I have a few 2-weekers in with chicks that are just a couple days old but the little ones were in on the action as well. Apparently "big sisters" are good for teaching new tricks. It's been a nonstop party in there ever since.

I just got these chicks TODAY so I hadn't even put in any grit yet. I realized, though, that if they were going to fill up on crane flies, mosquitoes, moths, beetles... whatever else happened by, they needed grit. So, I headed to the driveway with a colander and bowl to harvest some tiny granite pebbles. I put a little plastic lid in the brooder with the grit and they demolished it so I had to repeat the harvest procedure.

I'm starting to wonder if they're going to be somewhat nocturnal for a while since the night is so much more exciting for them than daytime [​IMG]

2. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    And I guess I can skip the "when can I give them treats?" post. [​IMG]

3. MeowCluckBark

MeowCluckBark Chicken Lickin' Good

Mar 28, 2011
    Boise, ID
    "I love the night life... I love to boogie!" might as well install a disco ball.

4. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Wow, neat alternative to a bug light.

[​IMG]

6. debid

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I think they have a hangover! Lots of naps -- just getting up to drink, grab a few bites, and then back to sleep. I had one pasty bum in the group that I cleaned up as soon as we got home yesterday and I see no sign of pasting on her today so I think all-night bug snapping parties are also good for pasty bum.

7. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    that is so cool. i wish i had a way to do that for mine. bug eating was a big selling point to hubby [​IMG] enjoy the babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by