ALL of my chickens always seem hungry and go crazy for food

summerfalling32

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 4, 2013
When we first got all our chickens they were quite calm but now every single time I go to the backyard they bolt to me and won't leave me alone thinking I've got food. If i do give them food they go crazy for it and gobble it up so quickly, They have food in the coop and under the tree which is always full with pellets and a bird mix. They have access to two waterers also. Is this normal? some other people with chickens have said that they are hungry and and are just using the pellets and bird mix as a minimum to survive. I have noticed the eggs have started to change by having lots of brown spots and some have the calcified chunks too and not to mention many slightly misshaped eggs. I read all these are a sign of poor nutrition. Anyone else got tho problem or know anything about it?

Yes it's normal. Some of the problems you mentions indicate that they need to eat less feed and more layer feed mixed with huller raw sunflower seeds . I keep some by the door to throw out to mine as "treats" during the day, they go for the sunflower seeds first but eat the feeda as well. They do want the yummier treats but they readily eat the layer I scatter if there isn't anything else.

When we first got all our chickens they were quite calm but now every single time I go to the backyard they bolt to me and won't leave me alone thinking I've got food. If i do give them food they go crazy for it and gobble it up so quickly, They have food in the coop and under the tree which is always full with pellets and a bird mix. They have access to two waterers also. Is this normal? some other people with chickens have said that they are hungry and and are just using the pellets and bird mix as a minimum to survive. I have noticed the eggs have started to change by having lots of brown spots and some have the calcified chunks too and not to mention many slightly misshaped eggs. I read all these are a sign of poor nutrition. Anyone else got tho problem or know anything about it?

Ok, What are you feeding them and do they free range ? If you are feeding them feed from the store, is it set out so they can eat all the time. Are you feeding them treats when you come out ? That maybe why they are coming to you. Some eggs have spots on them that is normal. Calcified chunks not sure what your taking about.

If your chickens are getting a good quality balnced layer or flock raiser feed with at least 16% protein and give some extra oyster shell for callcium free fed, you are doing fine. Occasionally chickens will have internal problems or suffer from a disease like infectious bronchitis that can affect egg shell quality. Here is a good article from a BYC moderator: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Ok, What are you feeding them and do they free range ? If you are feeding them feed from the store, is it set out so they can eat all the time. Are you feeding them treats when you come out ? That maybe why they are coming to you. Some eggs have spots on them that is normal. Calcified chunks not sure what your taking about.
We feed them pellets and also we mix in a grain mix of lots of seeds, corn and oyster shell. Yep they free range in our huge backyard full of grass, weeds and bushes. I don't usually feed them every time i go out but recently I feel bad for them so i take something with me each time (cooked brown rice, fruit and veg, porridge) they have calcium deposits on the eggs. I found this great egg chart and all the signs on my eggs lead to poor nutrition according to the chart. I throw about a handful of sunflower seeds out nearly everyday too but not a lll the chickens like them. below is link to egg quality poster

http://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf

My chickens all come running when I come up to their lot because they know occasionally I bring treats. Just make sure that your extras don't make up more than 10% of their total diet--the layer feed is enough.

Thanks eggsessive, Maybe I need to cut down on the treats
tongue.png
whoops

hey your not the only one that ha the difficulty of the hungry chickens i don't Evan open the door but they come running towards me thinking that i have food for them we constantly feed them and leave 2 bowls of chicken feed out in the garden but every time i do go out they follow me like i'm peter the piper it can get annoying the other day my friend was sitting at the back door eating a biscuit and she jamp up and snatched it out of her hand a gobbled it all up. i am confused between when they are hungry and aren't hungry i guess there hungry all the time and just want to eat the go crazy when i open the bags of mash i get from the brewery DRUNK CHICKENS i suppose just joking but i am very confused with the hunger of these chickens.

Phew...these girls have been doing my head in..starving all the time..they have pollard for breakfast with free range grain mix added. Then foraging for a couple of hours in the yard that has become a jungle with spinach and greens for them to nibble. For morning tea layers pellets moistened a little (if not moist they are left abandoned) as a treat before lunch a handful of black sunflower seeds.
They have a feeder that is full of pellets which is available constantly but alas they show no interest. Lunch consists of more moistened layer pellets and grain. I have tried to mix a little cooked ground beef in with the pellets which drove them into a feeding frenzy so I had to stop. Grain pellets and more grain and pellets. That is my day. Phew it looks exhausting having written it down..yet they are still hungry..

How old are yours mine are 18 weeks old laying eggs every day. I make them a breakfast every morning and they go nuts for it. Then during the day I feed them several times and right before bed they get dinner. They also have their feed out all day. Am I not giving them enough they are always hungry. Give them the food they must need it.

Back
Top Bottom