1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

All of my ducks were killed last night!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dumb_cluck, Oct 30, 2010.

1. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    All my mallards and one rouen were killed last night in the garage which I thought was predator proof! I think it's a rat. I have put out poison and got a few of them, but one or more mean SOBS are still there. I am afraid for my chickens now.

I am so angry and sad!!!!!!!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    must have been tiny chicks.

I'm so sorry. I hate when things like that happen.[​IMG]

Here's hoping you get the dirty bounder that did it.

3. dumb_cluck

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    They were all adults! Over a year old/ Their necks were pulled through their cages and their throats chewed,

I am beside myself with grief............

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I don't think a rat did that.

I'd bet almost 100% certain it was a coon attack. You just described how they kill.

5. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:My that doesn't sound like a rat - sound more like a coon???? I know Rats kill but they go for younger birds and yours are older????
    Even here we would be thinking of Weasels, stoats, Mink - to do that much damage and not Rats. Rats we would put down more to chick kills.
    Look see if there is a way for a coon or something bigger than a Rat to get inside your garage.

Oesdog - so sorry to hear of your loss [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mahonri - ha you just said it !!!!! and beat me to posting it!!! - COON ATTACK x2 !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  6. Harris5

Harris5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Northern CA
    That must have been an awful thing to find. Especially since you thought they were safe! I'm so sorry for your loss!

7. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I'm so sorry

I agree that it was likely not a rat. A rat couldn't take out an adult duck, especially something as large as a Rouen. In my experience, usually even skunks can't (rarely, although when they do, they typically eat the heads). My first thought was Raccoon. I can't imagine how one could get into an enclosed garage. We had a problem at the farm with them getting in and getting dog food. They were coming in through a tiny little doggie door. If you don't have anything like that, I would look for any place they could possibly squeeze in even including any gaps under the door. Again, I'm so sorry you lost your birds.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  8. dumb_cluck

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    The only "gap" is a small opening between the ground and the sliding door. It has to be small and skinny to be able to get in there.

Weasel, ferret or ???

If I ever get a hold of him........GOD HELP HIS A** !

PS Any ideas how to trap/kill a weasel type? Apparantly he is not eating the rat bait.

9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:I didn;t think you got weasels over there - more likely racoon!!!!! though it might be one of those things if you do have them and that gap is small for it to get in.
    Anyhow its NOT A RAT!!!!!! - Not sure how you catch one but if you got it in a bag I would get a rolling pin ( OK I'm a girl!!!!!! ) Or a big fellow tool like a mallet and bash its brains out!!!!!! They are really vicious so watch yourself!!!!!!! - do you have ferrits? they can do that damage too!!!! Not sure what you have in the states????????
    Anyhow a good old whack with a blunt intrument should do the trick!

Oesdog -good luck!!!!

10. dumb_cluck

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    A raccoon is too big to get in. When I went down to feed them I did see a slim like black thing dart behind the hay bales.

I just can't get over that all 5 mallards were murdered. I don't get it. I feel so bad for them as they met a terrible end with much pain and suffering. Got to go cry now.............sorry......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by