:( All Of My Eggs Died!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aggies2011, Oct 13, 2011.

1. aggies2011

aggies2011 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Alto
    I decided that since today was the 22nd day that i should just open the eggs........Well only two developed a duck and a chicken the others were just yolk [​IMG] I wonder what i did wrong!!??

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Was the duck alive? Duck eggs take 28 days, don't they?

It's hard to say what went wrong - your eggs might not have been fertile, but how did the incubation go? What were your temps and humidity like?

3. aggies2011

Mar 28, 2011
    Alto
    the duck was dead! and i did everything right [​IMG] i might not have put enough water! [​IMG] im gunna try again and this time i hope some hatch

4. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

do u have something to tell u the humidity and temp? i just had a hatch like urs. day 22 i opend the eggs and all were dead, didnt even absorb the yolk. my humidity was to high. i had to much water. also what kind of incubator do u have?

5. aggies2011

Mar 28, 2011
    Alto
    Quote:no i dont and dang thats probly what happened and i have one of those little ones from Tractor Supply

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I would recommend 2 tested thermometers and a one to show humidity. Without a good thermometer you will never have a good hatch.

Matt

7. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    You have a LG probably, that's all they carry at mine. Personally--I have heard LG are SUPER finicky about maintaining anything constitantly. Maybe try upgrading your incubator (or read about building your own--they are pretty easy to make [​IMG]) and definitely think about getting a digital temp/humidity gauge. I actually use 3 myself. Make sure to look up calibrating it too.

You are not the only one that has bad first hatches, we can all commiserate. Try again after readying a little bit more and I'm sure you'll do great next time!

8. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    dont open the egg... like southernbelle said arent ducks around 28 days? also for chickens they can hatch from day 21 to day 30!!! dont open when theyre a day late. i opened on of my eggs because the membrane hardened and i saved its life (so heroic [​IMG]) by opening it, but that was after it pipped... So, really, dont open them. I got a hatch on day 24. ***also really why open the duck 6 days before it was due... thats like opening a chicken egg on day 15!*** just let them taker their time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by