all of my girls are laying on the floor. help.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by schwaderer, Oct 4, 2012.

1. schwaderer

schwaderer New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    MARION County Ohio
    I am new to raising chickens. Earlier this week I brought home my twelve black astralorp ( sorry about the spelling ) hens and one rooster. The hens have never been around nesting boxes or perches. They only lay eggs on the floor of the coop and will only stay on the perches if I place them there after falling asleep. Should I place the nesting boxes on the floor of the coop where they are laying eggs? And they do have some favorite spots. The boxes are about 18 to 20 inches of the ground. I have fake eggs in each of the boxes as well.

2. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I have never had any luck with fake eggs! I put them in and the hens moved to another box and started laying there. What are you using on the floor of your coop? Do you have the same stuff in the nesting boxes and what were the hens use to before you got them?

3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I would try moving your fake eggs into one box. If they don't catch on in a week or two. I would then move one nesting box to the floor.

4. schwaderer

schwaderer New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    MARION County Ohio
    I'm using wood chips on the floor, which is what they are use too. My father in law told me to use oats in the nesting boxes because they camouflage the eggs and keep the eggs cleaner, so thats is what is in them.

5. Justicedog

Justicedog Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    I would try to move one of the eggs they lay into the nesting box. My chickens so far have avoided the nesting box with the golf ball in it. I've got no chickens who aspire to be like Tiger Woods.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I most of my birds lay in the nest boxes, but three like the corner under the boxes. I also have shavings on the floor and straw in the boxes, and it does keep the eggs cleaner. However, you might try lowering the nest boxes almost to the floor right where they want to lay and put your floor bedding material in them. If you can get them to switch, then move the boxes up gradually.

I've had luck totally blocking off their favorite floor spots for a while with debris. They laid in the boxes for a month or so, then they went back to the floor when the debris was removed. [​IMG] Chickens.

7. Buttercup1979

Buttercup1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I had this same problem. She kept laying in the corner of the coop against the window (so much for wanting dark privacy). I kept messing it up and trying to make the nest boxes looking cozy and dark. It didn't work. One day I decided to wait for her to lay and when I saw her going for her normal spot in the corner I ran out to the coop, scooped her up and put her in the nest box. I worried that I might have messed up her concentration or peace of mind but luckily I didn't and she laid like normal. AND she has been laying there ever since. So, if you're able to be home during the day and can catch her in the act, try that.

8. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    I used ping pong balls in the nest boxes when I found my first egg in the run, worked like a charm.

9. Buttercup1979

Buttercup1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I forgot to mention I had golf balls in the nest boxes. They didn't care.

10. schwaderer

schwaderer New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    MARION County Ohio
    Thanks for all the helpful advice. Will try some of these tips.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by