All of my girls are laying! Yay!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CaptainQwak, Jan 21, 2014.

1. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    And most of them in the nest boxes now! We got our first egg the day after Christmas and since then it appears all of our hens are laying. At first we had a problem with them ignoring the nest boxes and laying from the roost bar, but I changed the nesting material to towels and now they lay in the boxes (most of the time). I have been keeping a towel under the bar to cushion the fall just in case. It is interesting that the girls took to the boxes after the bedding change since they were brooded on these same towels. Spoiled girls! Thinking that it must be more comforting and familiar than the straw they had never encountered before.

So yesterday was the first day we got four eggs (4/4) and one of them was SPECKLED!! Is there a way of knowing who is laying the speckled brown eggs? Is it breed specific? So far it looks like we have one laying light brown, two laying medium brown, and one medium spotted. I have a buff orpington, rhode island red, barred rock, and black australorp.

I suspect it is the RIR as she let out some crazy vocalizations we had never heard before yesterday and soon after we found the speckled egg. Must have surprised her :)

Thanks for all the help and advice along the way... will never go back to store-bought, these eggs are 10x better than the ludicrously expensive humane, free-range, organic eggs we were buying!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]

Here they are in the brooder... so cute!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by