All of our ducks got wet feather?

nettie

Enslaved by Indoor Ducks
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
So we noticed over the past two weeks, all of our ducks get Soaked every time they take a bath (they are indoor pets who bathe in the tub). Since it affected all six ducks, we're trying to figure out why.

this incident started around the same time we gave them Mackerel for the first time... stinky oily fish... never again!!!!!

Joe wonders if he left too much soap residue after showering and it got in the water, but it seems like it'd have to be an awful lot of soap residue to affect all six ducks to the extent it has.

Are there any other ideas as to how they all got wet feather? Something in their diet? They get pellets, plus other dry foods to forage for mixed in. they also get a carb treat (usually rice or noodles), mixed veggies corn or peas, and a leafy green each night for dinner. the sometimes get fish, brine shrimp, goldfish, worms, ect as a protien treat but not every night. they get pond sticks every day during bath. the only thing that really changed was the Mackerel. but it's an oily fish, so i'm not sure how that could cause the wet feather.

I do have one broody butt right now, but she happily bathes when bath time comes. Everyone else is acting like their normal runner hormonal selves.

They always bathe in the same tub, and joe is always really good about washing it down after everyone's use of it. He also doesn't use that much soap. (I do, but I don't use that shower, I have colored hair and prefer to keep my shampoo with colorants and chemicals away from their tub). Any ideas on how they got it so we can prevent it in the future?

Also, other than giving ample time to preen after draining them (at least 30 minutes) and toweling them off, is their anything I can do to help them along? I've tried the hair dryer, but they are all scared of it and it takes forever. I sometimes will hold it a distance from them so they stay warm whle preening, but they hate the darn thing.

ETA: no one is currently molting or has molted in at least a month or more. Is this a sign of a molt to come? indoor ducks tend to molt whenever since the temp is always the same. We did increase their light recently with the changing of the season.

Last edited:
I was told to check their oil glands down by the base of their tails and make sure they are not obstructed in some way. Hopefully an expert will chime in! Do a search on here as well. I bet you'll find loads of info.

everyone's oil glands look okay like they are supposed to. It's weird that they all got it at the same time. you'd think I scrubbed them down in dawn or something. they were all soaked again tonight even with ample preening/bathing time. hmmmm so strange... I still wanna blame the Mackerel but I am not sure...

Back
Top Bottom