1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

all of the sudden........

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sebrite_97, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Sebrite_97

Sebrite_97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Jacksonville Fl.
    Yesterday, i had recoverd from a mild flu. i was finnally able to work wit my chickens again!!! as soon as i woke up i waz lisinen to my roo crow while i walked out there. when i got there, all of the birds were there,( THANK GOD ) but there were holes all the way around the coop and some were allmost dug enough so they could brake throo the inside of the run!!! it waz just all of the sudden. we knew ther wer coons out here but they never did try to bust in before! so any ways i filled in those holes. but last nite.... me and my dad were gonna go shrimp in the river. ( we didnt catch much but we got som! ) i waz tired so my dad walked me up. we decided to go check on our chicken coop. sure enough there were some more holes around the coop! that made me M.A.D. [​IMG] any ways we filled in those holes and today there were even more holes!!! im so mad rite now its retardid!

2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Sounds more like an armadillo.Which are harmless to chickens,but they can do some destruction to the yard.
    Maybe put out mothballs under flower pots near the coop and yard.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Install an electric fence around the base of the coop and run and/or install some hardware cloth (welded 1/4 or 1/2" wire) that is attached to the run and coop and then aprons out 2 ft with pegs holding it down that'll stop whatever is digging to get in.

Good luck and do what you can and always remember to lock the birds up in the coop at night.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:I bet you're right about that too. Sounds exactly like armadillos. Those things are adorable!

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    b.hromada :

Quote:I bet you're right about that too. Sounds exactly like armadillos. Those things are adorable!

This person is in Switzerland. I don't think there are armadillos there. What kind of predators are native to Switzerland?​

6. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL

This person is in Switzerland. I don't think there are armadillos there. What kind of predators are native to Switzerland?

Switzerland Florida....

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:This person is in Switzerland. I don't think there are armadillos there. What kind of predators are native to Switzerland?

Switzerland Florida....

Ah.. Ok. I checked their profile. Carry on then..

8. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Yup, I checked the profile as soon as I read "shrimping in the river" and "Switzerland". That's funny.
    Armadillos are not funny. Destructive little devils; who's to say they aren't in kahoots with the racoons? Opening up your coop's defenses so the coons can get in.

9. anngili

anngili Chillin' With My Peeps

Yea, coons are opportunists and that would be one opportunity that coons (or foxes, possums, rats, or snakes ) couldn't resist! Best get that zapper up fast. He's right about that electric fence/apron rig; it won't kill the predator but that apron is a heck of a good ground wire and they'll decide anywhere is a better source of food than there! [​IMG]

10. Sebrite_97

Sebrite_97 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Jacksonville Fl.
    Quote:Ya but do armadillos have paws wit 5 toes and an apposable thumb? and yes there were tracks EVERYWERE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by