all one breed or mixed, which is best?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NT, Aug 3, 2010.

1. NT

NT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Orange County
    I am planning on ordering a few (probably around 5) day old chicks in about a month and I haven't decided yet if I should get all one breed (my choice would be a. barred rocks or b. buff orpingtons) or should I get a mixed bunch (whatever the hatchery chooses for me)? My coop will have a 6'X8' run but they will not be free ranging.
  2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I enjoy mixed... that way you can easily tell everyone apart. [​IMG]
  3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Definitely mixed. The different breeds have different personalities and they look great together when they are all different colors.
  4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a mixed flock. Easy to tell who is who. Who is laying what eggs and how many per week. I like all the different color chickens, body types and eggs. I figure I would try a bunch of different breeds and then after a few years get the breeds I liked the best.

They are also good conversation pieces when talking about them to friends and family.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  5. NT

NT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Orange County
    that's what I was thinking, for the purpose of letting my kids name and easily identify them. I just seem to recall more pecking issues when you mix them.
  6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Chicken Obsessed

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I like a mixed group myself, easier with your first flock to count them, and to name them, and to see which kinds you really like. And to identify their quirks. Plus then you get a variety of eggs, which looks so pretty on your counter.

I tried all barred rocks one time, but really like a mixed group better. BO are good ones, Austrolops, too but also red stars and black stars are good hens. Mrsk
  7. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    I have two mixed flocks, the first is about 16 months old, and they have major pecking issues, and the second is 23 to 25 weeks, and they seem to have no pecking issues. I think it's the luck of the draw.
  8. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:yes, it makes it much easier for kids to name them. My 3 year old at the time named our first 5. Sugar - leghorn, Carrot - Isa Brown, Paulie - SLW, Claire- BO, Jazz- Speckled Sussex.

When they all grown up together there is very little pecking. At least with mine.
  9. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I like to have 3 different breeds. So that when they molt hopefully at different times, I am still getting some eggs.

So, You want 2 BR and 2 Buff Orphingtons and 2 ?EE's? Ya, those those breeds should do well together.

Enjoy your new chicks when you get them.
  10. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    I've got almost all different breeds, except now have 3 Ameraucanas. Still, each is a different color, so it's easy to tell who's who. All of my birds have very different personalities, and it's really easy to tell them apart. I'm not sure it would be so easy to yell at them by name if they all looked the same. [​IMG] Also, we get lots of interesting egg shapes and colors, so we always know who laid what. Love my little multi-ethnic family out there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by