All opinions welcome - Blue egg layers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aveca, Oct 24, 2009.

1. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    To make a long story short ,We have had such a difficult time finding good austraslorps that would not only live the life of riley, but would be well represented and shown and full credit to the founding breeders.Even put out offers for up to 200.00 for a dozen hatching eggs but just not finding much if anything . I thought I might get some of these hatching eggs for only a few birds to show and show the eggs. I dont think I would breed them , just show what I get .
    Should I just keep trying with the lorps?
    I could house a second breed, diffferent people have talked me into selling our sebrights so I only have 2 left, layla and gweneveir the hens. and I have someone bugging me every week for them. They especially want gwen for breeding, But I like showing her.

I do not know a lot about these chickens, and I know a lot of you do so since I keep hitting a brick wall with the lorps,despite some decent offers posted here and there. maybe a change . If I can find any I will be thrilled, I want to wait till toward spring for the sake of the chicks and time it so the scant few Im breeding here can go in one bator.

I just like showing and I know a lot of you can give me advise on this breed. worth it? Are these decent? Maybe I should be patient on the lorps, but It has been several years now.

These are the actual eggs and chickens.

[​IMG]

These are not what you get from the hatchery. These are the real deal. We breed to the American Poultry association Standard.

Blue egg layer
    [​IMG]

The full ad:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Pure-Amerauc...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53dd92d3c1

Any input would be appreciated

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I really like my Ameraucana there are breeders on this board that have great quality Ameraucanas. Those look good for a Ebay add but I have never bought birds off Ebay I prefer breeders that I know. Good Luck I love my Blue Black Splash Ameraucana. Here is the post I started today about Ameraucanas https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=260313

Henry

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. aveca

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Great post. Very informative and didnt know there were so many of these birds that are this high quality in here. I was on a failing australorp mission and wasnt really paying attention. The new birds that you just got I really like. Maybe thats the advantage here. this is pretty much an american-south american breed so you can actually get better quality birds here.Chasing the asutralorps has been a real challenge. Found a guy whos a real gem ,I saw his birds and said W O W!!! He was all help , just great to talk to and had the eggs to sell but hes in UK so theres a problem.. . I have lots of freinds who show silkies and turkens and a new freind who has some good delewares but honestly have never seen the true blue egg layer at the shows and only green eggs and egg layers shown. I thought I would wait till I could find something I could take around and show and do well with, it would be a good reflection on the breeder too.

If you get up and running and in the future want to sell some eggs, let me know.
    I would like to get to know someone who can help me out with this. I show at 2 or 3 shows a year not to stress them out too much , rest of the time its all R and R and the best of everything to eat..

I have out of 8 aussi hens brought up from our other farm, found only 3 that are going to be bred this next year. should say narrowed it down to 3 hens. So I could time it so they could go in the bator together.

Im not afraid to pay well either, people work so hard at this they deserve it dont you think?

I look on ebay once in a while a good breeder will offer up some extra eggs, there was some little bantam in there that won several BOSs , the owner seemed pretty genuine and showed his awards with his birds. so on occasion you can find a good one. Have yet to find what I was looking for thou they do offer up aussi eggs here and there.

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Sounds good hope you have luck finding Aussie eggs. I am defently not the most experianced breeder I should have eggs soon though this is the first rooster I have ever owned. Thanks for the compliments I really love these birds and I am going to transition over into a mostly BBS ameraucana flock now.

Henry

5. aveca

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Thanks. We have had the aussies for over 30 years but I posted a while ago that just a couple years ago we let them out on a nice day well a little red dog went on a rampage, he went to the neighbors first and killed 32 birds, the owner who went out to shows with me , showed silkies and she had some state fair winners as well as some real interesting pheasants the dog found a little hole in somewhere in the phesant net and worked his way in, got all of them, only the geese on the pond survived , She is still in a court battle with the dogs owner, she was awarded thousands of dollars and he is refusing to pay, so they are back in court. i decided not to sue and the birds we lost cant be replaced. Ive tried. still am, the birds we had came from an old freind who has since passed away. He had quite a chicken collection. and showed all over the US. He was a mentor to us. Learned lots. We have a pretty nice collection awards from his birds.

Well if you decide toward this spring to sell some eggs from your new flock if you have extras, Let me know. We'll get out there to the fingerlakes region and show some true blue egg layers and just see how we do. hopefully a feather or 2 in your hat. and i love showing.

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I am so sorry about the dog attack that is really sad who did you friends who passed sell his birds to? I will add you to my contact list and let you know when I have eggs. The Cockeral took AOSB at the Maryland state fair this year so he is of pretty good quality. I like the look of the pullets to though.

Henry

7. aveca

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Thats a good question, I tried to track down some of the people in this area that our freind sold birds to, but most had gotten out of it, birds got old and died, It appears that we were one of the few who were selecting and breeding and didnt loose interest in it.

Im glad your putting me on your list. Keep me posted. Im very excited. Congrats on the big win with the cockeral in maryland .We will have to work it out ahead of time so I can make sure your paid well ahead .

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Sorry they lost intrest they sound like great birds. I wasn't showing him StandardBanty his previous owner was. I can't take credit for him I just own him now [​IMG] I will let you know well in advance when I have eggs.

Henry

9. aveca

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Hes a great bird! Thanks again so much, Cant wait. It will be a nice show season for next year. I am really looking forward to it. And its so nice to meet you by the way. I will be traveling with a couple of australorps, one sebright hen until she goes out on loan , and if all goes well, some of yours , I take lots of pics at the shows.
    Those sebrights have always reminded me of a cage bird , they just dont look like a chicken yet they are.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by