All Purpose Feed OK???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dizzle's chicks, Dec 10, 2011.

1. dizzle's chicks

dizzle's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    I just ran out of grower feed and the gal at the feed store mentioned to me that I try Home Grown All Purpose Feed because we have chickens at different ages. I currently have 5 chickens born June 7th and 3 chickens born September 7th. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for my big girls to lay their first eggs. The cost of the feed also impacted on my decision. Will the feed impact the number of eggs that they lay or will it be ok? I live is Seattle and they are out in the backyard during the day.

Thanks!

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have a few friends that feed their birds stuff like this and they get way less eggs, if any, than I do. Without the nutrition that comes packed in some bags of commercial pellets or a balanced diet of grains then you may not get the proper growth, egg production or life expectancy from your birds.
    I personally would not do it. There is that saying that you get what you pay for.

3. dizzle's chicks

dizzle's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    if its not a good idea what is the best way to satisfy the 6 month old and the 3 month old chickens? should i return the current feed and get a grower/raiser or a layer feed? will the layer feed impact the younger chickens?

4. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    web search the purina or blue seal sites. Get their nutrition info and compare it to the feed your seller was pushing. If it is close you will be fine. IMO you do not need a different feed for every bird depending on their birthday. Only concern might be to much calcium for very young chicks.

5. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Offer oyster shell free choice. That way the young ones will not be impacted.3 month age differance is not that big of a deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by