all purpose or construction sand for grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Our7Wonders, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Our7Wonders

Our7Wonders Out Of The Brooder

the chick grit at the feed store only comes in tiny little bags, I'd rather not buy more. I'm hoping to only need grit for another month or so (chicks are 6 weeks) just waiting until they're a little bigger to allow them freedom to range (overhead birds worry me). Until they can get out on the ground I need to supply them with grit and I can't remember which kind of sand is recommended to use.

Again, they are 6 weeks if it matters for the recommendation.

TIA
    Debbi

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    What are you feeding them? If they're not allowed any access to the outside and you're feeding them commercial feed, especially crumbles, they don't need grit.

3. Our7Wonders

Our7Wonders Out Of The Brooder

I am feeding organic commercial feed - it is crumbles. But I was under the impression that if you feed ANY other feed beyond the commercial feed that we'd have to add grit. BOSS, egg, veggie pieces, yogurt, etc, don't these all need grit even if given in small amounts?

4. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I have never given my girls grit, though mine have always had some outside time when they were little. In my run I have both all purpose sand and construction sand... I'm assuming that is what they use for grit... over a year now and no problems.

D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by